Chlorine Mass Spectrometry: Cl-35 and Cl-37 Isotope Analysis

  • Thread starter Thread starter jsmith613
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jsmith613
Messages
609
Reaction score
0
In the mass spec of chlorine, I produce Cl-35 and Cl-37 (each of which has a charge of +1).
The molecule of Chlorines can be (Cl-35, Cl-35)+, (Cl-35, Cl-37)+ and (Cl-37, Cl-37)+.

Is this correct? Do I include the charges or not?

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In mass spectrometry the particles must be charged in order to be deflected by electric and magnetic fields so I think the answer to your question is yes.Also,depending on the ionisation mechanism,some of the particles may be more than singly charged.
 
Dadface said:
In mass spectrometry the particles must be charged in order to be deflected by electric and magnetic fields so I think the answer to your question is yes.Also,depending on the ionisation mechanism,some of the particles may be more than singly charged.

So here, we have the combination of two ions and we place the charge of +1 outside the bracket to show it applies to both?