Civilizations in other galaxies?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxies
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of there being other civilizations in the universe. The Drake equation is mentioned as a way to estimate the number of other civilizations, but it is dependent on various factors and therefore difficult to accurately determine. It is mentioned that civilization as we know it is rare and vulnerable to catastrophic events. The possibility of detecting alien life through radio signals is also discussed, with the conclusion that it is premature to rule out the existence of other civilizations in our galaxy.
Holocene
How probable is this?

100 Billion galaxies, there has to be at least one other civilization out there, no?

Space news on Phys.org
Holocene said:
How probable is this?

100 Billion galaxies, there has to be at least one other civilization out there, no?

Probability of life seems high, but we can't be certain without physical evidence. To go from life to civilization appears to take a long time. Life started on Earth arround 3.5 billiuon years ago, multicellular life starte around 550 million years ago. Homo sapiens started around 150 thousand years ago. Civilization began (say defined by the invention of writing) around 5500 years ago. Also the whole process seemed to require a succession of accidents, like the disappearance of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, which is believed to have resulted from a major catastrophic extraterrestial impact. If the dinosaurs hadn't been wiped out, mammals wouldn't have had much chance to evolve as they did.

This is something that is very very very hard to estimate, especially because we know so little about abiogenesis. The Drake equation is the best estimation that I know of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

I am agree with friend nicksauce that the Drake equation is the best estimation that we know.For example if we put the numbers 1,2,3..in the Drake equation the number of other civilizations would be 20.IF we put bigger number more ''crazy'' the number of other civilization would be 100.000!But all of those numbers are depends on the fractions of the Drake equation.

To start with i do not want to contemplate infinite possibilities, (think about it) for this reason i do not think that everything is possible, there has to be a a set number of posssibilites, if you think my reasoning strange then say hello to the goat laying in bed next to you.

Civilization, as we know it, is extraordinarily rare for reasons we do not fully understand. Radio surveys are the evidence [no alien versions of 'I love Lucy' have yet been detected]. The sophistication of modern radio telescopes has virtually ruled out artificial EM sources within our galaxy. The universe is an incredibly inhospitable place to live. Cataclysmic events occur with disturbing regularity and life, especially intelligent life, is incredibly vulnerable to such events. We have only been literate here on Earth [a prerequisite for truly intelligent life forms] for about 6000 years. That is an incredibly tiny slice of time in the history of the universe. I don't think life is rare, merely fragile.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Radio surveys are the evidence [no alien versions of 'I love Lucy' have yet been detected]. The sophistication of modern radio telescopes has virtually ruled out artificial EM sources within our galaxy.

My understanding is that the strongest routine radio signals generated on Earth could only be detected a few light years away by radio telescopes such as ones we have today. In other words, we are not capable of detecting "I Love Lucy" from another star system, so the fact that we have not done so does not rule out their existence.

It is also my understanding that we have only surveyed a relatively small number of stars at a small number of frequencies. I think it is premature to rule out alien life in our galaxy.

1. How do we know if there are civilizations in other galaxies?

Currently, we do not have any concrete evidence of civilizations existing in other galaxies. However, scientists use various methods such as the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) and the Drake Equation to estimate the likelihood of advanced civilizations existing in other galaxies.

2. What are the chances of us encountering a civilization from another galaxy?

The chances of encountering a civilization from another galaxy are extremely slim. The vast distances between galaxies make it highly unlikely for any two civilizations to come into contact with each other. Additionally, the limited technology and resources available to us make it difficult to travel to other galaxies.

3. Could civilizations in other galaxies be more advanced than us?

It is possible that civilizations in other galaxies may be more advanced than us. The age of the universe and the vast number of galaxies and planets within it suggest that there could be civilizations that have had a longer time to develop advanced technology and ways of life.

4. How do we communicate with civilizations in other galaxies?

Currently, we do not have the technology to communicate with civilizations in other galaxies. Even if we were able to detect signals from other galaxies, the time it would take for a response would be extremely long. However, scientists continue to explore different methods of communication, such as using advanced technology and sending probes to other galaxies.

5. What would happen if we did encounter a civilization from another galaxy?

If we were to encounter a civilization from another galaxy, it would be a groundbreaking discovery and could potentially lead to new understandings of the universe and our place within it. However, it is also important to consider the potential risks and ethical implications of such an encounter.