Clarification about Earth's Precession

• Thread starter bznm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precession
In summary, the angle between the Earth rotation axis and the Earth direction axis that we would have if the Earth wasn't "crooked" is called θ. I found that the angle between Ω_p and L would be 90deg, and not theta, and that the frequency of precession depends on cos(theta), not sin(2*theta).
bznm
I haven't a textbook where I can study Earth Precession and I'm not sure to have correctly understood... Could you tell me if I do mistakes?

I consider two points P and Q on the equatorial bulge. The torques of the gravitation forces between P-sun and Q-sun (calculated wrt the Earth center) are not equal and opposite, so I have a ##\tau_{tot} \neq 0## that generates ##\Delta L## (##\tau=dL/dt##).

##\vec{\tau_{tot}}=\vec{\tau_p}-\vec{\tau_q}=\vec{R}\times\vec{F_p}-\vec{R}\times\vec{F_q}=\vec{R}\times\vec{\Delta F}##

##\Delta F=\displaystyle \frac{4G mMR^2 cos \theta}{a^3}##

so ##\tau_{tot}=\displaystyle \frac{4G mMR^2 cos \theta}{a^3} Rsin \theta##

but ##\tau_{tot}=\displaystyle\vec{\Omega_p}\times{L}=\Omega_p L sin \theta## . From this last relations, I obtain:

##\displaystyle \frac{4G mMR^2 cos \theta}{a^3} Rsin \theta=\Omega_p L sin \theta## -> ##\Omega_p=\displaystyle\frac{4GmMR^2 cos \theta}{a^3 I \omega_{rot} }##

Is it correct? My colleague wrote on his blocknotes ##|\Omega_p||L|=|\tau_{tot}|## so ##\Omega_p=\frac{2GmMR^2 sin2 \theta}{a^3 I \omega_{rot} }##

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello

I'm not sure, but maybe it's that the angle between L and Ω_p is 90deg, and not θ. Drawing the vectors may help.

Greetings

Mmmmh. ##\theta## is the angle between the Earth rotation axis and the Earth direction axis that we would have if the Earth wasn't "crooked"...

Hello

I'm not completely sure, but if nobody answers... I think that the Ω_p is always perpendicular to the ω_{rot}; the tricky point here is to see that the direction of Ω_p is not constant, but its module is (ie, the frequency of precession is constant).

So the angle between Ω_p and L would be 90deg, and not theta, and you will keep the sin(theta) in the cross product, in order to get 2sin(theta)cos(theta) = sin(2theta), as your classmate. I still think that a drawing is useful (I'm not native English speaker, and it would be easier also for me ;) ).

Another point: I think there is another mistake in the second equation; maybe it's just R not R squared (magically it desappears in the next steps ;) ).

Greetings! :D

The setting should be this:
XkJeU7U.jpg

I can't understand the reason why ##\Omega_p## should be perpendicular to ##w_r##.. see also

http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/students/iceage/images/precession_1.jpg

Hello

After thinking carefully, it's pretty probable I were wrong.

I found a very complete explanation about this problem:

http://astro.cornell.edu/academics/courses/astro6570/Precession_Free_and_Forced.pdf

In the page 7/19 it's shown the same formula that you proposed, the frequency of precession depends on cos(theta), and not on sin(2*theta).

Thank you for making me think in this issue ;)

Greetings

1. What is Earth's Precession?

Earth's Precession refers to the slow and gradual change in the orientation of the Earth's rotational axis. This means that the Earth's axis, which is currently tilted at approximately 23.5 degrees, moves in a circular motion over a period of about 26,000 years.

2. What causes Earth's Precession?

The main cause of Earth's Precession is the gravitational influence of the Moon and the Sun on the Earth's equatorial bulge. This continuous gravitational pull causes the Earth's axis to wobble, resulting in the precession motion.

3. How does Earth's Precession affect us?

Earth's Precession does not have a direct impact on our daily lives. However, it does affect the position of the stars and constellations in the night sky over time. It also has a minor influence on the Earth's climate and the length of the seasons.

4. Is Earth's Precession constant?

No, Earth's Precession is not constant. It experiences small variations due to the gravitational pull of other planets and the Earth's own internal processes. However, these variations are minor and do not significantly affect the overall precession motion.

5. Can we observe Earth's Precession?

Yes, we can observe Earth's Precession by tracking the position of stars and constellations over long periods of time. This can be done through various methods, such as astrometry and satellite imaging. However, the precession motion is very slow and not easily noticeable in our lifetime.