1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification about Earth's Precession

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    I haven't a textbook where I can study Earth Precession and I'm not sure to have correctly understood... Could you tell me if I do mistakes?

I consider two points P and Q on the equatorial bulge. The torques of the gravitation forces between P-sun and Q-sun (calculated wrt the Earth center) are not equal and opposite, so I have a ##\tau_{tot} \neq 0## that generates ##\Delta L## (##\tau=dL/dt##).

##\vec{\tau_{tot}}=\vec{\tau_p}-\vec{\tau_q}=\vec{R}\times\vec{F_p}-\vec{R}\times\vec{F_q}=\vec{R}\times\vec{\Delta F}##

##\Delta F=\displaystyle \frac{4G mMR^2 cos \theta}{a^3}##

so ##\tau_{tot}=\displaystyle \frac{4G mMR^2 cos \theta}{a^3} Rsin \theta##

but ##\tau_{tot}=\displaystyle\vec{\Omega_p}\times{L}=\Omega_p L sin \theta## . From this last relations, I obtain:

##\displaystyle \frac{4G mMR^2 cos \theta}{a^3} Rsin \theta=\Omega_p L sin \theta## -> ##\Omega_p=\displaystyle\frac{4GmMR^2 cos \theta}{a^3 I \omega_{rot} }##

Is it correct? My collegue wrote on his blocknotes ##|\Omega_p||L|=|\tau_{tot}|## so ##\Omega_p=\frac{2GmMR^2 sin2 \theta}{a^3 I \omega_{rot} }##

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

ORF

Hello

I'm not sure, but maybe it's that the angle between L and Ω_p is 90deg, and not θ. Drawing the vectors may help.

Greetings

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    Mmmmh. ##\theta## is the angle between the Earth rotation axis and the Earth direction axis that we would have if the Earth wasn't "crooked"......

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

ORF

Hello

I'm not completely sure, but if nobody answers... I think that the Ω_p is always perpendicular to the ω_{rot}; the tricky point here is to see that the direction of Ω_p is not constant, but its module is (ie, the frequency of precession is constant).

So the angle between Ω_p and L would be 90deg, and not theta, and you will keep the sin(theta) in the cross product, in order to get 2sin(theta)cos(theta) = sin(2theta), as your classmate. I still think that a drawing is useful (I'm not native English speaker, and it would be easier also for me ;) ).

Another point: I think there is another mistake in the second equation; maybe it's just R not R squared (magically it desappears in the next steps ;) ).

Greetings! :D

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    The setting should be this:
    XkJeU7U.jpg

I can't understand the reason why ##\Omega_p## should be perpendicular to ##w_r##.. see also

http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/students/iceage/images/precession_1.jpg

7. Feb 2, 2016 #6

ORF

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook