Classmate who smells awkward moment

Yeah, because a woman comes up to you screaching "what the hell? do I smell bad?" and you're going to tell her the truth...
I would. I'd probably do it just to be awkward, and becuse it would be interesting to see the reaction.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I would. I'd probably do it just to be awkward, and becuse it would be interesting to see the reaction.
You'd lie to make someone feel uncomfortable and awkward, just to see their reaction?

You'd lie to make someone feel uncomfortable and awkward, just to see their reaction?
Assuming it's a lie.

My post was meant to say "even if she was, with that reaction to you moving would you tell her the truth?".

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Assuming it's a lie.

My post was meant to say "even if she was, with that reaction to you moving would you tell her the truth?".
OK, I understand. But to say something (truth or not truth) when your motivation is to see someone squirm...well, that's not a kind thing. I'm not saying you'd do that btw :smile:.

Depends completely on the scenario.

Run up to me, and use the phrase "what the hell? do I smell bad?" out of the blue. My immediate response would be yes.

Ask in a non crazy way and I would be honest.

Femme_physics

Gold Member
Ask in a non crazy way and I would be honest.
LOL! It's just my personality.

But I actually do make sure to put deodorant, perfume and not wear something I wore without washing it. Plus, I'm a girl, so I naturally smell good anyway. :tongue:

I like Serena

Homework Helper
I told him today. Yes, I also told him that I like him but that I smelled a bad smell at tuesday's class that I thought was coming from him and that's why I moved. It was kinda awkward and embarrassing, he was unsure what to say, got a bit defensive and told me he's always putting on the deodorant. I wasn't really sure what to say back. "I'm not sure what it was, I just had to move." I said. Though, I'm sure it was him and he's in denial. He did say eventually "I appreciate your honesty."

Suffice to say, it was a really short and awkward conversation and I didn't sit next to him that day or spoke to him that day. Damn it. But, it had to happened I guess...

(Funny thing though, someone moved away from ME at the break! I immediately went up to him and went "what the hell? do I smell bad?" and then I sniffed my armpits lol. He was like "god forbid of course not! There's just too much chattering in that area"....)
I think it's a good thing that you approached him about it.
Apparently he didn't know yet and he really should know.
Also, I believe it's important to not just tell him and walk away, but to give him a chance to digest it, and by taking the time to listen to him and talk about it, you also show you care, and that you don't reject him as a person.

Sounds like you did right! :cool:

[edit]Just keep the chattering down will you? :wink:[/edit]

Femme_physics

Gold Member
I think it's a good thing that you approached him about it.
Apparently he didn't know yet and he really should know.
Also, I believe it's important to not just tell him and walk away, but to give him a chance to digest it, and by taking the time to listen to him and talk about it, you also show you care, and that you don't reject him as a person.

Sounds like you did right! :cool:

[edit]Just keep the chattering down will you? :wink:[/edit]
Thanks Serena! :) I really appreciate your feedback.

I like Serena

Homework Helper
We won't know without smelling a guy next month.
@FP: will you let us know if he smells like roses next time?

Femme_physics

Gold Member
LOL I feel kinda embarrassed to sit next to him now, and I'm still slightly worried he might smell tbh :P

Borek

Mentor
You don't have to sit down, you can sniff him just walking around. Dogs do it all the time.

I like Serena

Homework Helper
LOL I feel kinda embarrassed to sit next to him now, and I'm still slightly worried he might smell tbh :P
It would be nicest if he came up to you, saying he's worried that he smells, and asking you if he does (he might smell like roses :shy:).

Femme_physics

Gold Member
LOL! Unlikely. I'm pretty sure I've burned a bridge for life. Oh well.

Oh, and trust me, he's not the only guy who deserves a notice about it in my class. I'll just make sure to stick next to ones who either smell good or don't smell. Made me appreciate my perfumes all the more.

I like Serena

Homework Helper
I've worked in an office once for half a year.
When I came there we were taken along to the mess.
On the way, the guy who took us, took us just for fun through a wing of the building that really stank of some perfume. Apparently a woman worked there that used way to much perfume, and not a particularly nice one either.
He explained that she'd been working there for over half a year, and that apparently no one ever told her that she used way too much perfume!

Either way, I was not so brave as to walk up to her and tell her, but during the half year that I worked there, I never went into that wing again! However, we could smell, even passing that wing by, that she still worked there!

Femme_physics

Gold Member
Well, if you'd gotten to know her a bit would you have told her?

I like Serena

Homework Helper
Well, if you'd gotten to know her a bit would you have told her?
I'd like to think that I would have.
I guess it would depend on my impression of her, that is, how open she'd be to listen to anyone.
I suspect she wasn't open at all for such things, because I can't imagine that no one was ever willing to tell her.

[edit]Actually, I knew someone at college as well that really stank. But this was a guy that grew a large unkempt beard and who had dirty hair. It never seemed worthwhile to tell him that he stank, since he obviously didn't care how he looked or smelled. Now if I would have been a pretty woman, I might have had more impact ;).[/edit]

Last edited:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving