I think community colleges definitely have a place in the education system, but there are a few aspects that seem to be strictly about the money, and I tend to agree that they act as a sort of 13/14th grade for outgoing high school students.
Following high school, I could have got into a decent state university with my mediocre grades, but I am glad that I did not. I never took my education seriously and I would have only added to the statistic being discussed in this thread. Some 10 years later, I am a much more responsible adult, and I understand the value of education. A Community College gave me the ability to essentially re-learn what I should have taken away from high school.
I noticed that several courses there were identical. I took Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-calculus, and Trigonometry. I would say that all four of those courses could be condensed down into two. The coursework for all of them (except for trig) was virtually identical, the only difference being pre-calculus where conic sections were covered and we were introduced to the difference quotient (though without limits).
I placed into General Chemistry I, having taken no chemistry in high school (I went to a rather poor high school). I elected to take a course "Intro to Chemistry" instead because I was unsure of my knowledge and wanted to learn things the proper way. When I began taking General Chemistry I, I realized that it is EXACTLY the same as the "Intro" course, with perhaps one chapter in the book being different. General Chemistry II was a bit different, mainly the labs.
I have since transferred to a decent university, and one thing remains constant. The attitude and character of those around me, taking the same courses, but significantly younger. They have this sort of "good enough" attitude, as though they feel they need to "just make it through this college thing" so they can land some huge job. These students complain about their grades, and the "unfair grading practices" of the professors and TA's, even when the course is more than reasonable.
The idea that an 18 year old is "not college material" is silly. Some of them are, some of them aren't, but most of them "could be". I would fully blame the U.S. education system for this problem. Rather than encouraging students to actually learn something of interest, we were prepped for pointless state exams that have no bearing on future colleges and only serve to help the school gain more funding. Considering how the idea that "College will get you a high paying career" is instilled into our minds from the day we start school, you would think that the education system would better prepare students for it.