Common Trig Identity Derivations

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an online source that explains the step by step derivation of common trig identities. The speaker has already spent 20 minutes searching online but has not found what they were looking for. They are considering purchasing a trig text for $100 instead. The conversation also mentions using the identities cos(A+B) and sin(A+B) to simplify the derivations.
david martin
I'm looking for a source online that gives the step by step derivation of common trig identities, such as sin(2theta) = 2sin(theta)cos(theta), cos(2theta) = cos2(theta)-sin2(theta), sin2(theta) = (1 - cos(2theta))/2, ect. I did do 20 minuntes or so of searching online, nothing was exactly what I was hoping for. Is there a website explaining the derivations or should I fork out the $100 for a trig text? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest way uses the these identities:

cos(A+B)= cosAcosB - sinAsinB

and sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + sinBcosA

then put A=B. Proving the above identities might prove to be a bit more difficult.

What are common trig identity derivations?

Common trig identity derivations are mathematical formulas that express relationships between trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, and their reciprocals. They are derived using basic trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation.

Why are trig identity derivations important?

Trig identity derivations are important because they allow us to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations. They are also used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

What is the process for deriving a trig identity?

The process for deriving a trig identity involves using known identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, to manipulate the trigonometric functions until they are in a simplified form that is equivalent to the original equation.

What are some common trig identity derivations?

Some common trig identity derivations include the double angle identities, half angle identities, sum and difference identities, and product-to-sum identities. These are frequently used in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying expressions.

How can I remember all of the trig identity derivations?

The best way to remember trig identity derivations is through practice. By regularly solving equations and using the identities, you will become more familiar with them and be able to recall them easily. You can also create flashcards or mnemonic devices to help with memorization.