Complete characterization of local monomials

In summary, the conversation was about a statement from Zavialov's book on QFT that states if ##[A(x), j_{\{\lambda\}}(y)]=0## for ##(x-y)^2<0## then ##A(x)## is a local polynomial. The relevant definitions were provided and the question was whether anyone had a proof of this fact. The main thoughts for proving the statement were discussed, including the use of the Wick theorem and the assumption ##[A,j]=0##. It was suggested to use a more rigorous argument to prove that the sum cannot vanish unless each term is zero and it was concluded that ##A(x)## is a local polynomial based on the properties of the delta
Gaussian97
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
If ##[A(x), j_{\{\lambda\}}(y)]=0## for ##(x-y)^2<0## then ##A(x)## is a local polynomial.
Hi, I'm reading Zavialov's book on QFT and there's a statement there I was interested in finding how to prove it. The statement is as follows:

If ##[A(x), j_{\{\lambda\}}(y)]=0## for ##(x-y)^2<0## then ##A(x)## is a local polynomial.

The relevant definitions are:
$$A = \sum_n \int A_n(x_1,\ldots, x_n) :\phi(x_1)\cdots\phi(x_n): dx_1 \cdots dx_n$$
$$j_{\{\lambda\}}(x)=:\phi_{(\lambda_1)}(x)\cdots \phi_{(\lambda_n)}(x):$$
$$\phi_{(\lambda_1)}(x) = \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\right)^{(\lambda_i)}\phi(x)$$
and a local polynomial is just a linear combination of ##j_{\{\lambda\}}(x)##.

Does anyone have a proof of this fact?

This are the main thoughts I came up trying to prove the statement:

The first thing is that the book does not explicitly define ##A(x)##, but I think it is probably defined by the natural
$$A(x) = \sum_n \int A_n(x,x_1,\ldots, x_n) :\phi(x_1)\cdots\phi(x_n): dx_1 \cdots dx_n$$
From here the first thing I thought was that the commutator ##[A(x), j(y)]## reduces to know the value of the commutators
$$[:\phi(x_1)\cdots \phi(x_n):, j(y)]$$
And since the derivatives can be extracted from the commutator at the end we need to compute
$$[:\phi(x_1)\cdots \phi(x_n):, :\phi(y_1)\cdots \phi(y_m):]$$
Now, using the Wick theorem we can get rid of the normal ordering, and using the relation ##[A,BC]=B[A,C]+[A,B]C##, we should really be able to reduce everything to the commutator ##[A(x), \phi(y)]##. So, either I'm neglecting something important or the assumption ##[A,j]=0 \forall j## seems to be innecesary, just needing ##[A,\phi]=0##, no?

Then we can write the commutators
$$[\phi(x_1)\cdots \phi(x_n), \phi(y)] = \sum_{i=1}^n [\phi(x_i), \phi(y)] \phi(x_1)\cdots\phi(x_{i-1})\phi(x_{i+1})\cdots\phi(x_n)$$

My idea then is trying to prove that this sum cannot vanish unless each particular term vanishes. We know that ##[\phi(x_i), \phi(y)]## vanishes when ##(x_i-y)^2<0## so the condition ##[A,\phi]=0## would imply that the functions ##A_n(x,x_1,\ldots, x_n)## must vanish whenever ##(x_i-y)^2\geq 0##.
Since this must be true for all ##y## such that ##(x-y)^2<0## this implies that ##A_n(x,x_1,\ldots, x_n)## must be zero whenever ##x_i\neq x## and therefore all the functions ##A_n(x,x_1,\ldots, x_n)## would be linear combinations of ##\delta(x-x_i)## and their derivatives. Which would prove that ##A(x)## is a local polynomial.

I don't know if anyone knows if this is the right approach. The part that I think I'm more distant to actually prove (with some rigour) is to prove that indeed the sum cannot be zero unless each individual term, which seems plausible to me. But I have no clue.

If anyone knows the proof or wants to share any thoughts about it, I'd like to hear you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in the statement from Zavialov's book on QFT. I can offer some insights and suggestions on how to prove this fact.

Firstly, I agree with your approach of using the Wick theorem to get rid of the normal ordering and reducing the commutator to ##[A(x), \phi(y)]##. This is a common technique in QFT and can simplify the calculations.

Regarding the assumption ##[A,j]=0##, I believe it is necessary in this case. While it is true that ##[\phi(x_i), \phi(y)]=0## when ##(x_i-y)^2<0##, this does not necessarily mean that ##[\phi(x_1)\cdots \phi(x_n), \phi(y)]=0## for all values of ##y##. In fact, the commutator might not even be well-defined for some values of ##y##. Therefore, the assumption ##[A,j]=0## is needed to ensure that the commutator is well-defined and can be used in the proof.

Your idea of proving that the sum cannot vanish unless each particular term vanishes is a good one. However, I would suggest using a more rigorous argument to prove this. One approach could be to use the fact that the commutator ##[\phi(x_i), \phi(y)]## is a c-number (a constant) and therefore can be pulled out of the sum. Then, you can use the properties of the delta function to show that the sum cannot vanish unless each term is zero.

Lastly, your conclusion that ##A(x)## is a local polynomial is correct. This follows from the fact that the functions ##A_n(x,x_1,\ldots, x_n)## must be linear combinations of ##\delta(x-x_i)## and their derivatives, as you stated.

I hope this helps in your proof and I wish you all the best in your studies of QFT.

1. What is the purpose of complete characterization of local monomials?

The purpose of complete characterization of local monomials is to understand the properties and behavior of monomials in a specific local context. This can provide insights into their algebraic and geometric properties, as well as their applications in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. How is complete characterization of local monomials different from general monomial characterization?

Complete characterization of local monomials focuses specifically on the behavior of monomials in a particular local setting, such as a specific point or neighborhood. This differs from general monomial characterization, which considers the overall properties of monomials without a specific local context.

3. What techniques are commonly used for complete characterization of local monomials?

Some common techniques used for complete characterization of local monomials include algebraic methods, such as polynomial division and factoring, as well as geometric methods, such as graphing and visualizing monomials in a local setting. Computer simulations and numerical methods may also be used.

4. What are the potential applications of complete characterization of local monomials?

Complete characterization of local monomials has various applications in fields such as algebra, geometry, physics, and engineering. It can be used to analyze and solve equations, model physical phenomena, and design efficient algorithms for computational problems.

5. Are there any limitations to complete characterization of local monomials?

While complete characterization of local monomials can provide valuable insights, it may not always be possible to fully characterize all monomials in a local context. This can be due to the complexity of the monomial or the limitations of available techniques. In some cases, approximations or simplifications may be necessary.