Complex Replacement: Justification?

I don'tIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of complex replacement as a valid method for solving differential equations. The question is raised about how the real and imaginary parts of an expression do not influence each other under algebraic manipulations. The example of a differential operator, p(D), is used to illustrate this idea. The validity of manipulating expressions with complex numbers and still being able to take the real part is also questioned. The response suggests that this can be done if p(D) is linear. There is also mention of using p(D)z_r = cos(t) and p(D)z_i = i sin(t) to potentially solve the original differential equation.
adamjts
Hi,

Is there a proof that complex replacement is a valid way to solve a differential equation? I'm lacking some intuition on the idea that under any algebraic manipulations the real and imaginary parts of an expression don't influence each other.

For example, if I'm given:

$$p(D) x = cos(t)$$ where p(D) is some differential operator, how can I be sure that the real part of the solution to $$p(D) z = e^{it}$$ will be a solution to my original differential equation? How can I be sure that I can manipulate any of these expressions with complex numbers and will still be able to take the real part?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can if ##p(D)## is linear in that ##p(D) (a z_1+b z_2) = a p(D)z_1 + b p(D) z_2##

Okay, this may be stupid, if ##p(D)z_r = cos(t)## and ##p(D)z_i = i sin(t)## then it may work

What is complex replacement?

Complex replacement is a scientific concept that refers to the process of replacing a complex system or structure with a new one, typically in order to improve its functionality or efficiency.

Why is complex replacement necessary?

Complex replacement is necessary when a system or structure becomes outdated, inefficient, or no longer meets the needs of its users. It allows for advancements in technology and knowledge to be incorporated into a new and improved system.

What is the justification for complex replacement?

The justification for complex replacement is often based on the cost-benefit analysis of implementing a new system versus maintaining the existing one. It also takes into account the potential benefits, such as increased efficiency, improved performance, and better user experience.

What are some examples of complex replacement?

Examples of complex replacement include upgrading computer systems, replacing old infrastructure with new and improved versions, and designing and building new structures to replace outdated ones.

What are the steps involved in complex replacement?

The steps involved in complex replacement may vary depending on the specific project, but they typically include planning, design, development, testing, implementation, and maintenance. It is important to carefully assess the current system and identify key areas for improvement before proceeding with the replacement process.