Conformal Gauge Theory: Proving SO(2,4)*diff Invariance

In summary, this individual has studied poincare gauge theory and deduced that the resultant action is the same as the einstein hilbert one. They are now trying to study conformal gauge theory. They are using: E.A.Ivanov and J. Niederle paper. They are hoping to find a reference that could help them in proving this hypothesis.
shereen1
Dear all
I am trying to prove that the action resulting from studying conformal gauge theory is invariant under SO(2,4)*diff. Can anyone give me a hint to start from thank. I considering several papers: E.A.Ivanov and J.Niederie and others...

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of foundation of knowledge do you have already? Can you sketch the reasons that you think this hypothesis might be true and provide links to the papers you've looked at?

Likes shereen1
You mean N=4 SYM and its invariance under the superconformal algebra?

Likes shereen1
ohwilleke said:
What kind of foundation of knowledge do you have already? Can you sketch the reasons that you think this hypothesis might be true and provide links to the papers you've looked at?
Hello
In fact i have studied poincare gauge theory and i deduced that the resulted action is the same as the einstein hilbert one. So currently i am trying to study conformal gauge theory.
I am using: E.A.Ivanov and J. Niederle paper
Thank you

haushofer said:
You mean N=4 SYM and its invariance under the superconformal algebra?
no i mean gauging conformal group and studying the resulting action if invariant under diffeomorphism group. Do you have any idea about a refernce that could help me in proving this?
Thank you

You mean superconformal tensor calculus then, I guess. The SUGRA-book by Van Proeyen and his online lecture notes treat this in great detail.

Likes Urs Schreiber and shereen1
shereen1 said:
no i mean gauging conformal group and studying the resulting action if invariant under diffeomorphism group. Do you have any idea about a refernce that could help me in proving this?
Thank you

By construction, the resulting action is invariant under diffeomorphsim, just like the Yang-Mills action on curved spacetime. Collect the 15 infinitesimal generators of [itex]SO(2,4)[/itex] as [tex]J_{A} = \{ P_{a} , M_{ab}, K_{a}, D \} ,[/tex] where the index [itex]a = 0,1,2,3[/itex] is raised by the inverse Minkowski metric [itex]\eta^{ab}[/itex], then rewrite the Lie algebra [itex]so(2,4)[/itex] in the standard form [tex][J_{A},J_{B}] = C_{AB}{}^{C}J_{C} .[/tex] The Cartan-Killing metric on [itex]so(2,4)[/itex] is given in terms of the structure constants as [tex]G_{AB} = C_{AE}{}^{D} C_{BD}{}^{E} .[/tex]
In the basis [itex]J_{A} , \ \ A = 1,2, \cdots , 15[/itex] , define an [itex]so(2,4)[/itex]-valued connection [tex]\mathbb{A}_{\mu}(x) = A^{C}_{\mu}(x) J_{C} \equiv e^{a}_{\mu}(x) P_{a} + \omega^{ab}_{\mu}(x) M_{ab} + c^{a}_{\mu}(x) K_{a} + \alpha_{\mu}(x) D .[/tex] The components of the field tensor [itex]\mathbb{F}_{\mu\nu} = F_{\mu\nu}^{C}J_{C}[/itex] are given as usual by [tex]F^{C}_{\mu\nu} = \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}^{C} - \partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}^{C} + C_{BD}{}^{C} A_{\mu}^{B}A_{\nu}^{D} .[/tex] Now you can write down the following diffeomorphsim-invariant action
[tex]S = - \frac{1}{2 \alpha^{2}_{YM}} \int d^{4}x \ \sqrt{-g} \ g^{\mu\rho}g^{\nu\sigma} \ G_{AB} F^{A}_{\mu\nu}F^{B}_{\rho\sigma} .[/tex]

Likes shereen1, Ravi Mohan, dextercioby and 1 other person
One can also obtain the EH-action by writing down the action of a conformal scalar field and gaugefixing this field by a local dilation. See van proeyen his sugrabook.

Likes shereen1

1. What is Conformal Gauge Theory?

Conformal Gauge Theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of fields and particles in spacetime. It is a type of gauge theory that incorporates both the principles of gauge invariance and conformal invariance, which means that the theory is invariant under transformations that preserve angles and distances.

2. What is the significance of SO(2,4)*diff Invariance in Conformal Gauge Theory?

SO(2,4)*diff invariance is a mathematical symmetry group that is essential for the consistency and validity of Conformal Gauge Theory. It ensures that the theory is invariant under transformations that preserve both conformal invariance and the symmetries of the underlying spacetime.

3. How is SO(2,4)*diff Invariance proven in Conformal Gauge Theory?

Proving SO(2,4)*diff invariance in Conformal Gauge Theory involves showing that the theory is invariant under the transformations of the symmetry group, which includes both conformal transformations and diffeomorphisms. This is typically done through mathematical calculations and equations that demonstrate the symmetry of the theory.

4. What are the practical applications of Conformal Gauge Theory?

Conformal Gauge Theory has several practical applications, including its use in describing the behavior of fields and particles in high energy physics, as well as in the study of the early universe and cosmology. It is also used in condensed matter physics and in certain areas of mathematics.

5. What are some current challenges in proving SO(2,4)*diff Invariance in Conformal Gauge Theory?

One of the main challenges in proving SO(2,4)*diff invariance in Conformal Gauge Theory is the complexity of the mathematical calculations and equations involved. Another challenge is the incorporation of quantum mechanics, as the theory is currently only well-defined in classical physics. Additionally, there is ongoing research to better understand the connection between Conformal Gauge Theory and other areas of theoretical physics.