Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Congratulations to Anand and all his Indian fans!

1. Mar 31, 2014 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Viswanathan Anand made a magnificent comeback in the Candidates Match 2014 by winning it, and has now earned the right to challenge Magnus Carlsen in the upcoming World Championship.

I believe this rematch between the two chess titans in the world will bring lots of excitement, and that Anand now has regained the level of self-confidence to make the match a lot more even than the match in Chennai last year.
    :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2014 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

He's done an excellent job. :)
    Seriously I would never have guessed he would stand a chance against such a field.
    He will take a well deserved revenge.

4. Apr 2, 2014 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I believe that even if Anand loses big time against Carlsen, he has proved to himself that he still belongs in premier league. Last year, apart from the World championship matches, he hadn't really done well in top-rated tournaments since 2007-2008.

Now, he'll know he is still in the top division for many years to come.

5. Apr 2, 2014 #4
    Anand is no doubt immortal in the chess scene. Imagine how hard it is to win against other grandmasters in the game, but he's been the world champion regardless, making winning look almost too easy against most grandmasters. I still hope for Carlsen to crush him >.<

6. Apr 6, 2014 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This is a very good 15-minute interview with Viswanathan Anand, whose joy is evident, but he seems levelheaded as well. As he puts it: "I needed this result as people need oxygen"

When asked what might be the reason for why he managed to put the heavy blow in the World Championship behind him, he offers he very reasonable response: Having spent several weeks with his family, and playing with his young son, he got the mind off the devastating result last November.
    http://ibnlive.in.com/news/i-needed...ygen-anand-on-candidates-win/462095-5-23.html
    See also: http://www.chess.com/news/anand-this-result-for-me-is-a-bit-like-oxygen-7771

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  7. Apr 7, 2014 #6
    Thanks for interview arildno, It was a treat for me! As always Anand was frank and candid.

We saw him get demolished in a match, he made a historic blunder, thousands of chess fans totally wrote him off...
    But now just six months later Anand silences everyone by winning one of the strongest chess tournament in history.

Anand is like a rubber rod. You can bend him but cant break him. Also, he can bounce back and hit you on the face!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook