Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connecting two points in the Universe?

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I'm new here and I am not a physicist so please excuse any ignorance on my part. I am wondering if there are any ideas or theories involving the possibility of connecting two points within our universe and being able to see through or move between the two points. I am familiar with the idea of objects moving into another dimension, or a parallel universe but I'm specifically wondering about within our universe. The idea being that through a 'wormhole' or 'vortex' if you will, we would be able to catch a glimpse of a point on the other side of the galaxy or beyond.

I am genuinely interested in the subject and willing to do the work to learn, I really just need a jumping off point. If anyone can point me toward the right resources or theories to research I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Also, if the answer is no - there is no theory or valid argument for the possibility of that happening, I'd like to know that as well.

thank you in advance for your help. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The only plausible theory that I can think of at the moment is General Relativity and its wormholes. And even a wormhole is probably not possible unless we find some sort of exotic matter.

4. Jul 24, 2012 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can't argue w/ Drakkith's statement, elsiear, but really, you are just dealing in Science Fiction here, not fact. I suggest you direct your energies to something more likely to bear fruit. You seem to have the energy to learn some real physics. I'd suggest you read the FAQ in the cosmology section as a start.

Paul

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4
    Thank you both for your replies. As a layperson, a lot of these concepts can make it difficult to determine what is Science Fiction and what are considered to be plausible ideas and theories, which is why I'm here. I appreciate your suggestion to look through the FAQ section and will definitely do that. I am here with an open mind to any and all answers, even if it's a simple "no" as I mentioned in my first post.

I also believe that the line between Science Fiction and fact can be crossed as our technology and knowledge builds and grows and that 'What If' questions are the basis of scientific discovery across all disciplines.

Again, thank you for your responses so far, and I look forward to becoming more involved in this forum and the astrophysics world as I learn more.

:smile:

6. Jul 24, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I completely agree w/ this.

One of the biggest flaws in scientific predictions in the past has been to assume that what we know "now" (whenever that might have been) will not be superseded as knowledge progresses. That is, it has been assumed that things that are NOT fundamental limits (constrained by the laws of nature), were fundamental limits because they seemed so at the time.

BUT ... that doesn't mean that there are NO physical limitations. For example, SciFic uses faster than light drives all the time, but these are not actually likely to ever happen. It's good to know where the limits are and to have some sense of whether they are fundamental limits or technological limits.

This is a terrific forum, by the way, if you haven't gathered that already.

7. Jul 24, 2012 #6
    Too add to the above answers, although there are mathematical loopholes you can find that allow FTL travel, none are physically reasonable. It is relatively easy to show that traveling between two points FTL allows you to violate causality.

8. Jul 27, 2012 #7
    I agree with the previous users. The only currently conceivable way to connect two points in the universe is with an Einstein-Rosen bridge, colloquially referred to as a "wormhole". Unfortunately, spaghettification will occur while traveling through it, so it's still physically impossible to survive a journey through one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook