Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Constitution to disqualify to hold and enjoy any office of Profit?

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    What does it mean in the constitution to disqualify to hold and enjoy any office of Profit?

Article 1 section 3 U.S Constitution:

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2
    Re: Impeachment

It just means they can't hold any executive office positions.

Democracy has something called 'Seperation of Powers'... the 3 seperate groups are 'executive, legislature, and judiciary'

To further this the reason this exists is to make sure that the 3 different groups don't 'mingle'. So in America it would be Legislative: congress, Executive: President, Judiciary: Supreme Court.

So after being impeached this just says you can't hold an 'executive appointment' under the United States of America

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. Dec 5, 2009 #3

My question is exactly is "an office of profit"

5. Dec 5, 2009 #4

You have capitalized 'trust' and 'profit'. In my copy these are not capitalized.

The Senate is given the power to impeach--remove from government office and more. The Senate may specify that the impeached may not be allowed to hold a position where they are in the pay of the US government or make money in a business arrangement.

(Interpretations such as Al Gores 'living constitution', may vary.)

6. Dec 5, 2009 #5
  7. Dec 5, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I think Josh is literally asking what the word "profit" means in this context. It usually means acquisition of money.

8. Dec 5, 2009 #7

No, my question is whether banning from an office of Profit (note capitolization) is considered banning from any way of making a profit.

9. Dec 5, 2009 #8

Here is the sight that has it capitalized
    http://www.senate.gov/civics/constitution_item/constitution.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Dec 6, 2009 #9

An office of profit meant, and means an office of profit under the domain of the US governent.

11. Dec 6, 2009 #10

I am thinking it means an office that is a paid position in the US government as opposed to doing work for the government but not being paid, such as a volunteer position.

12. Dec 6, 2009 #11

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, the Constitution states "under the united states".

By using the word "under" rather than "in" they mean you can't be paid by the US government, rather than you can't be paid anywhere in the United States. You can still make profit privately.

13. Dec 6, 2009 #12

Does this help?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_profit" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Dec 6, 2009 #13

Yes this is exactly what I was talking about earlier in my post, thanks jimmy! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook