Conversion of CVT Scooter to Hybrid

• Automotive
  • Thread starter CorvetteAB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scooter
In summary: That's what we are trying to figure out. We don't want to do anything that might compromise the CVT's efficiency.1-4 were not answered satisfactorily. We have been at it for about 2 months, no answer specific, or even close enough to solve our problems. They just confused us further. We know that a direct drive is used in 2 wheelers, but we aren't sure how to make the gear ratios- motors have constant torque and power modes. Ideally, a CVT would be good for a motor, but the efficiency reduces, apparently(again, not sure. We have received contradictory replies), so we don't know.4 was partially sorted, but we wanted the characteristics for
CorvetteAB
Hello friends,

My team is working on a hybrid bolt on setup for a competition. We will be given a 110cc, CVT driven scooter (producing 7.80 bhp @ 7,500 rpm and 8 Nm @ 5,500 rpm). This is the scooter- https://www.bikewale.com/tvs-bikes/..._kKbSX6goR4u50g2XY4mjq9SqVcNjmKu-9hoCzD7w_wcB
also, https://www.tvsjupiter.com/techspec
(Competition is organised by SAE India in association with TVS)

We have come across quite a few problems, and since we are all new to this, we aren't able to solve it, so I thought I would ask here.
1-- Does mating an electric motor to a CVT reduce its efficiency? What transmission would you suggest?
2-- Why do motors often use direct drive? (single gear ratio) Or do they?
3-- Is it possible to couple the 2 power sources (engine+ motor) using any transmission? How would planetary transmission work? Is there a way?
4-- How are the power and torque characteristics of an electric motor? Is it like constant torque throughout the RPM and max power at max RPM, or otherwise? (I could be wrong)
5-- The rules state that power during electric motor mode should NOT go to the engine crankshaft. So, we have decided to add an electromagnetic clutch at some point in the CVT where centrifugal clutch is located (so that when in EV mode, if we use direct drive to rear wheel, we don't have to worry abour CVT running alongside and reducing efficiency). Thing is, we aren't sure of how it would work out, and if it would even work in the first place, because CVT is a tight fit, and messing with it is risky, given our limited budget. Any idea whether it would work?
And does anybody know any other ways of disengaging power?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most of your questions 1-4 can be answered with some internet searches, what information have you found so far? I think you will get more useful answers if you ask specific questions one at a time after having done some basic research yourself.

Not sure if there's a question in #5 or not, but I would emphasize trying to keep the application as simple as possible. Electromagnetic clutches and the like seem complicated and difficult to implement if you need to try modifying the existing transmission. Have you considered keeping your hybrid system totally separate and just depending on the centrifugal clutch to disengage when the engine is idling? When you say "bolt on" what is the scope of that requirement? I would think of it as "simple to install with minimal work" in which case modified transmissions and clutches don't sound "bolt-on" to me...

Mech_Engineer said:
Most of your questions 1-4 can be answered with some internet searches, what information have you found so far? I think you will get more useful answers if you ask specific questions one at a time after having done some basic research yourself.
Thanks for replying.

1-4 were not answered satisfactorily. We have been at it for about 2 months, no answer specific, or even close enough to solve our problems. They just confused us further. We know that a direct drive is used in 2 wheelers, but we aren't sure how to make the gear ratios- motors have constant torque and power modes. Ideally, a CVT would be good for a motor, but the efficiency reduces, apparently(again, not sure. We have received contradictory replies), so we don't know.
4 was partially sorted, but we wanted the characteristics for calculation of power and torque requirements before we move on to motor and battery selection.
3 is the major problem, in conjunction with 5. All need a clutch.

Mech_Engineer said:
Not sure if there's a question in #5 or not, but I would emphasize trying to keep the application as simple as possible. Electromagnetic clutches and the like seem complicated and difficult to implement if you need to try modifying the existing transmission. Have you considered keeping your hybrid system totally separate and just depending on the centrifugal clutch to disengage when the engine is idling? When you say "bolt on" what is the scope of that requirement? I would think of it as "simple to install with minimal work" in which case modified transmissions and clutches don't sound "bolt-on" to me...

You see, that's the thing. Centri can disengage when idling ONLY. Rules demand that in EV mode, that's say when you are going at 35+, and you come to 25, which is when we plan on engaging EV mode, then motor takes over and engine must be disconnected completely. And centri clutch won't disengage unless you hit idling. So we need something to disengage at will.
Ok, maybe using the term "bolt on" was wrong. My bad.

CorvetteAB said:
then motor takes over and engine must be disconnected completely. And centri clutch won't disengage unless you hit idling.
Why would your engine be going faster than idling speed when in EV mode? I would even consider completely turning it off.

I think the point is the centrifugal clutch will be engaged when accelerating up to 25 mph, at which point it won't be able to disengage if you coast?

Mech_Engineer said:
I think the point is the centrifugal clutch will be engaged when accelerating up to 25 mph, at which point it won't be able to disengage if you coast?
Yes. Exactly.
Centri's are designed to only engage and disengage at idling.

jack action said:
Why would your engine be going faster than idling speed when in EV mode? I would even consider completely turning it off.
I can kill the engine, but, because it is a centri clutch, which engages and disengages only at engine idling speed, and here it is rotating at speed equivalent of 25kmph, it will stay connected. Fuel supply could be disconnected, but you will still be running the engine crankshaft, and hence moving the pistons up and down, which is parasitic on the motor.

1. How does the conversion of a CVT scooter to hybrid work?

The conversion of a CVT scooter to hybrid involves replacing the traditional combustion engine with an electric motor and adding a battery pack. The electric motor works alongside the existing CVT transmission to provide power to the wheels, while the battery pack is used to store energy for the motor.

2. What are the benefits of converting a CVT scooter to hybrid?

Converting a CVT scooter to hybrid can provide several benefits, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and increased torque and power. It can also make the scooter quieter and more environmentally friendly.

3. How difficult is it to convert a CVT scooter to hybrid?

The difficulty of converting a CVT scooter to hybrid can vary depending on the make and model of the scooter, as well as the skill level of the individual performing the conversion. It generally requires some technical knowledge and mechanical skills, but there are conversion kits available that can make the process easier.

4. Can any CVT scooter be converted to hybrid?

In theory, any CVT scooter can be converted to hybrid. However, the practicality and feasibility of the conversion may vary depending on factors such as the scooter's size, weight, and compatibility with the conversion kit. It is best to consult with a professional before attempting a conversion.

5. Will converting a CVT scooter to hybrid void its warranty?

This will depend on the specific warranty terms of the scooter manufacturer. Some may consider the conversion to be a modification and void the warranty, while others may not have any restrictions. It is recommended to check with the manufacturer before proceeding with the conversion.