Converting 100 Yards to Centimeters: Dimensional Analysis Explained

In summary, the conversation is about converting the length of a football field from yards to centimeters using the dimension analysis method. The participants discuss the importance of including units in calculations and the correct way to convert the units. The final answer is determined to be 28575 paperclips.
rachelmaddiee
Homework Statement
I need help with a question
Relevant Equations
N/A
I’m trying to solve this question using the exact method in my book but I’m having trouble with setting this up. Here is my work**

The length of a football field (100 yards) needs to be converted to centimetersLength of paperclip = 3.2 cm long36 inches = 1 yardhow many paperclips in 100 yds = (unknown)yards —> centimeters
4467F949-66AF-4314-B37D-5553EAD2EB18.png
A43EC43C-223F-4C56-B924-9B91B0F4E447.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
PF guidelines require an effort from your part. We are not allowed to help otherwise.
What did you do so far to find a solution ?

Dimensional analysis
Convert the 100 yards to cm (there are 36 inches in a yard). Divide this by the length of the paperclip.
100 yards = 9144 cm
9144 cm/3.2 cm = 2,857.5 cm

rachelmaddiee said:
Dimensional analysis
Convert the 100 yards to cm (there are 36 inches in a yard). Divide this by the length of the paperclip.
100 yards = 9144 cm
9144 cm/3.2 cm = 2,857.5 cm
How do you get cm/cm = cm ? Get your units straight. That's ALWAYS something to be careful of

phinds said:
How do you get cm/cm = cm ? Get your units straight. That's ALWAYS something to be careful of
I converted 100 yds to cm

100 yds * 36 in/1 yd * 2.54cm/1 in = 9144 cm
9144 / 3.2 = 2857.5
Is this correct?

rachelmaddiee said:
9144 / 3.2 = 2857.5
Is this correct?
UNITS, dammit, UNITS. :smile:

phinds said:
UNITS, dammit, UNITS. :smile:
Is it wrong?

It is meaningless as long as you don't put units on these numbers. They can be OK in terms of the numerical value that you are after, but you need to explicitly write 2857.5 of what.

If I tell you that I need 3.234 of a rope, would you know if I mean feet, meters, inches, yards, ells or fathoms?

Borek said:
It is meaningless as long as you don't put units on these numbers. They can be OK in terms of the numerical value that you are after, but you need to explicitly write 2857.5 of what.

If I tell you that I need 3.234 of a rope, would you know if I mean feet, meters, inches, yards, ells or fathoms?
Cm?

Yes, you've made it clear that you think your answer has come out in cm. What we've been trying to guide you to is that that is completely WRONG because you did not use units properly.

phinds said:
Yes, you've made it clear that you think your answer has come out in cm. What we've been trying to guide you to is that that is completely WRONG because you did not use units properly.
Which part is wrong?

rachelmaddiee said:
Which part is wrong?
The part where you assign units. Nowhere do you show paperclips. Your answer IS, after all, supposed to come out as a number of paperclips.

I ask you again, how can you have cm/cm = cm ? That's like say that 5 cm goes into 10 cm 2cm times. Ridiculous.

9144 / 3.2 = 2857.5 paperclips

rachelmaddiee said:
9144 / 3.2 = 2857.5 paperclips
No! Your calculations do NOT show paperclips and you have just arbitrarily converted a dimensionless number to "paperclips" without, apparently, any idea how you go there.

I'm done with this thread.

phinds said:
No! Your calculations do NOT show paperclips and you have just arbitrarily converted a dimensionless number to "paperclips" without, apparently, any idea how you go there.

I'm done with this thread.
9144 cm / 3.2cm = 2857.5
I don’t understand what needs to be corrected. The units are confusing me.

rachelmaddiee said:
9144 cm / 3.2cm = 2857.5
I don’t understand what needs to be corrected. The units are confusing me.
Oh, all right. I get impatient sometimes. You are going to have a hard time in any STEM field if you don't learn units.

ANSWER = 100 YARD x 36 INCH / YARD * 2.54 CM / INCH * 1 PAPERCLIP / 3.2 CM = 28575 PAPERCLIP

the YARD cancel, the INCH cancel, the CMs cancel, and you end up with ANSWER = # ofPAPERCLIPs

You should ALWAYS do a full exposition of units when doing STEM problems. Sometimes it will show you that you can't possibly have the right calculation.

If you think what I'm telling you is just trivial semantics, then I suggest you find a career as a shoe salesman or the like. Stay away from STEM fields.

Likes rachelmaddiee
phinds said:
Oh, all right. I get impatient sometimes. You are going to have a hard time in any STEM field if you don't learn units.

ANSWER = 100 YARD x 36 INCH / YARD * 2.54 CM / INCH * 1 PAPERCLIP / 3.2 CM = 28575 PAPERCLIP

the YARD cancel, the INCH cancel, the CMs cancel, and you end up with ANSWER = # ofPAPERCLIPs

You should ALWAYS do a full exposition of units when doing STEM problems. Sometimes it will show you that you can't possibly have the right calculation.

If you think what I'm telling you is just trivial semantics, then I suggest you find a career as a shoe salesman or the like. Stay away from STEM fields.
Thank you!

phinds said:
Oh, all right. I get impatient sometimes
I sympathize. Happens to me too, sometimes. And then can easily forget a decimal point, just like ... :wink: hey !

(unless you do it on purpose, in order not to violate the PF rule about not handing over the corrrect answer directly :cool: )

1. How do you convert 100 yards to centimeters using dimensional analysis?

To convert 100 yards to centimeters using dimensional analysis, you would first need to know the conversion factor between yards and centimeters. The conversion factor is 1 yard = 91.44 centimeters. Then, you would set up a proportion and solve for the unknown value, which in this case is the number of centimeters in 100 yards. The formula would look like this: 100 yards * (91.44 centimeters / 1 yard) = 9144 centimeters.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important in scientific calculations?

Dimensional analysis is important in scientific calculations because it allows for the conversion between different units of measurement. This is crucial in scientific experiments and research as measurements are often recorded in different units and need to be converted in order to compare and analyze data accurately. Dimensional analysis also helps to identify any errors in calculations, as the units should always cancel out and result in the desired unit of measurement.

3. Can dimensional analysis be used for all types of conversions?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used for all types of conversions as long as the conversion factor is known. This method is especially useful for converting between units in the metric system, but it can also be applied to conversions between different systems of measurement, such as imperial and metric.

4. Are there any limitations to using dimensional analysis?

The main limitation of dimensional analysis is that it assumes the conversion factor is accurate. In reality, the conversion factor may vary slightly depending on the source and the precision of the measurements. Additionally, dimensional analysis may not be suitable for complex or nonlinear conversions, where other methods may be more appropriate.

5. How can dimensional analysis help to solve real-world problems?

Dimensional analysis is a practical and efficient method for solving real-world problems that involve conversions between units of measurement. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to convert measurements and solve equations. By using dimensional analysis, scientists can ensure that their calculations are accurate and consistent, making it a valuable tool in problem-solving.