1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting watts to kilowatts

1. Feb 24, 2004 #1
    Let's say, for example, that I have a common household item that is 6amps, being run from a 12v circuit, like a car battery. That would make the wattage 72, correct? What is the time frame on that? Is that 72 watts an hour? a minute? Basically, how do I convert that number, 72watts, into a kilowatt hour? I'd like to know basically, how many kwh come from the typical car battery, in a comparison for class.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

Watts is a rate, it's 72 watts now and it will be 72 watts 3 hours from now (as long as it's still running).

Kilowatt hour is a unit of energy. Just turn watts into kilowatts by dividing wattage by 1000, then multiply by the hours the thing is running to get kilowatt hours.

If a device is 72 watts and it runs for 3 hours, 0.216 kilowatt hours of power is used.
  4. Feb 24, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Make that 0.216 kW-hr of energy.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?