Could Mass Effect's Mass Relays theoretically work?

• Thread starter brucemitchell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of Mass Relays in the future based on the fictional "mass effect" phenomenon, which is not based on current knowledge. There are theoretical wormhole solutions, but there are practical limitations in generating such space-times. The individual also mentions their disappointment with the direction of the Mass Effect series, particularly with the third installment. However, others still find value in the game despite its flaws.
brucemitchell
Hi. I have played the first Mass Effect and some of the second ME, and I have always thought the Mass Relays were, well, really cool.
I was wondering if they would theoretically be possible in the distant (or maybe near, but probably distant) future.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty much every advanced technology in that game is based on the fictional "mass effect" phenomenon, which is an excuse for no, not based on our current knowledge.

It's essentially a wormhole. Theoretical wormhole solutions do exist in general relativity but there are issues with regards to the mass-energy needed to practically generate such space-times.

As an aside, don't play ME 3. You will be disappointed. It's bad enough ME 2 sucked compared to ME 1 but ME 3 is just abysmal.

WannabeNewton said:
As an aside, don't play ME 3. You will be disappointed. It's bad enough ME 2 sucked compared to ME 1 but ME 3 is just abysmal.

The ending is bad yes, but the content leading to it along with the DLCs is still awesome I think. My favorite series still.

I miss the rpg feel of ME1. ME2 and ME3 didn't feel like rpgs at all to me; they felt more like pseudo FPS games. I miss the old Bioware :[ Why has the KOTOR team forsaken us T_T

Thanks for the answers, and I feel the same way about ME2, just never played ME3. :P

We can't really answer this question unless we know which color. Blue ,Red or green?

ME3 is worth it even if it has some problems.It is far far from ''abysmal''.

1. How do Mass Relays in Mass Effect work?

In the Mass Effect universe, Mass Relays are giant structures that use mass effect fields to create a "corridor" between two points in space. This allows ships to travel quickly and efficiently across vast distances.

2. Is it possible for Mass Relays to exist in real life?

While the concept of using mass effect fields to create a corridor in space is theoretically possible, the technology required to create Mass Relays is currently beyond our capabilities.

3. Could Mass Relays cause any damage to ships or planets?

Mass Relays in Mass Effect are designed to be safe for ships to travel through, but there is a potential for damage if the relay is not properly calibrated. However, the effects on planets are negligible as the mass effect fields are localized to the corridor.

4. How do Mass Relays stay powered and functional?

In Mass Effect, Mass Relays are powered by Element Zero, a rare element with unique properties. The Element Zero cores in the relays are constantly recharged by nearby stars, ensuring their continuous operation.

5. Are there any limitations to Mass Relays in Mass Effect?

One limitation of Mass Relays in Mass Effect is that they can only connect to other relays within a certain range. This means that they cannot be used for instantaneous travel across the entire galaxy.