Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could Mass Effect's Mass Relays theoretically work?

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    Hi. I have played the first Mass Effect and some of the second ME, and I have always thought the Mass Relays were, well, really cool.
    I was wondering if they would theoretically be possible in the distant (or maybe near, but probably distant) future.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2
    Pretty much every advanced technology in that game is based on the fictional "mass effect" phenomenon, which is an excuse for no, not based on our current knowledge.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

It's essentially a wormhole. Theoretical wormhole solutions do exist in general relativity but there are issues with regards to the mass-energy needed to practically generate such space-times.

As an aside, don't play ME 3. You will be disappointed. It's bad enough ME 2 sucked compared to ME 1 but ME 3 is just abysmal.

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4
    The ending is bad yes, but the content leading to it along with the DLCs is still awesome I think. My favorite series still.

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I miss the rpg feel of ME1. ME2 and ME3 didn't feel like rpgs at all to me; they felt more like pseudo FPS games. I miss the old Bioware :[ Why has the KOTOR team forsaken us T_T

7. Jun 13, 2013 #6
    Thanks for the answers, and I feel the same way about ME2, just never played ME3. :P

8. Jun 19, 2013 #7
    We can't really answer this question unless we know which color. Blue ,Red or green?

ME3 is worth it even if it has some problems.It is far far from ''abysmal''.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook