Could The Purge Concept Be Realized in Modern Society?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kiki_danc
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
kiki_danc
Messages
352
Reaction score
9
Do you consider the Purge as science fiction? I don't know where to post non-science fiction movie, why is there no forum for it.

I'd like to know if the Purge can really occur in our world. The logic is that crimes occur because of deep negative subconscious reservoir.. and when you can purge all your negative emotions.. then you would be free.

In the movie.. once a year for 12, crimes can be committed for free so the people can purge all the negative emotions and there would be much less crimes throughout the year. Can this occur in a any nation in the foreseeable future? If there would be public debate about this. What defense can you give that would not justify the Purge occurring in your country?

I watch The Purge at tv every week and keep wondering about this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reason to believe this would work - or that the basis for it is sound.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
kiki_danc said:
I'd like to know if the Purge can really occur in our world. The logic is that crimes occur because of deep negative subconscious reservoir.. and when you can purge all your negative emotions.. then you would be free.
It's a monstrous idea.

I'm a relatively law-abiding man. Crimes hurt me. Committing a (harmful) crime myself would scar me.

The thought of every other person in my region being allowed to commit crimes that will deprive, hurt, or even kill me, is about as close to hell as I can imagine.

I like to think that most other people are like me. A purge would turn the world into anarchy.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith and russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
It's a monstrous idea.

I'm a relatively law-abiding man. Crimes hurt me. Committing a (harmful) crime myself would scar me.

The thought of every other person in my region being allowed to commit crimes that will deprive, hurt, or even kill me, is about as close to hell as I can imagine.

I like to think that most other people are like me. A purge would turn the world into anarchy.

But we already have something far worse than the Purge.. for example. In world war II. Millions were butchered and mutilated. The Purge would have much less casualties.
 
kiki_danc said:
But we already have something far worse than the Purge.. for example. In world war II. Millions were butchered and mutilated. The Purge would have much less casualties.
Hardly an equivalent.
Generally, those in harm's way were soldiers. And they had training. And guns. And they were given orders for strategy.
It wasn't simply visceral mayhem and wanton destruction just for the high.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith
Discussing indiscriminate killings is not appropriate for PhysicsForums.

Thread closed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: NTL2009, russ_watters, Bystander and 3 others