Could universe be a blackhole inside a white hole?

In summary: If what you're saying is correct then are we to presume that Smolin's theory precludes white holes?I'm not familiar with Smolin's theory, so I can't say for sure. But if it does preclude white holes then it would seem to defeat the purpose of the theory.I'm not familiar with Smolin's theory, so I can't say for sure. But if it does preclude white holes then it would seem to defeat the purpose of the theory.In summary, according to the experts, it would be impossible for the universe to exist as a white hole within a black hole. There is no proposed theory or model that even suggests this is possible.
jordanm5144
Would it be possible for the universe to exist as a white hole within a black hole? I know about the whole black hole universe theory, though I never really looked into it.

Space news on Phys.org
jordanm5144 said:
Would it be possible for the universe to exist as a white hole within a black hole? I know about the whole black hole universe theory, though I never really looked into it.

I think the title of this thread might be the wrong way round.

Try this:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1384107611000790

They suggest that a white hole might be like the Big Bang. Is this like what you meant?

Last edited:
jordanm5144 said:

I know of no proposed theories or models which even suggest this is possible.

Drakkith said:
I know of no proposed theories or models which even suggest this is possible.

Poplowskii has such a model or did at one time, it involved torsion and spin to attempt to account for the cosmological constant and the homogeneous and isotropic nature of the universe. No idea if he still follows or continues the model. If I recall the model failed to account for early universe large scale structure formation.

That, and there is no such thing as a "black hole inside a white hole".

bapowell said:
That, and there is no such thing as a "black hole inside a white hole".

I think the title's wrong. He means a white hole inside a black hole.

craigi said:
I think the title's wrong. He means a white hole inside a black hole.
Yeah. No such thing as that either.:rolleyes:

bapowell said:
Yeah. No such thing as that either.:rolleyes:

Could you explain a bit more in the context of Fecund Universes?

Are you saying that Fecund Universes isn't a viable theory, that white holes don't exist, or the two are incompatible?

Last edited:
I'm saying that there is no solution in Einstein gravity that describes a white hole inside a black hole. I'm not familiar with "Fecund" universes -- can you provide a reference?

bapowell said:
I'm saying that there is no solution in Einstein gravity that describes a white hole inside a black hole. I'm not familiar with "Fecund" universes -- can you provide a reference?

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecund_universes

If what you're saying is correct then are we to presume that Smolin's theory precludes white holes?

Is there even a solution to Einstein gravity that could he could use?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference. I don't see any mention though of white holes as part of the "fecund universe" construction...

1. Could the universe actually be a black hole inside a white hole?

This is a popular theory among some scientists, but it is still highly debated and not widely accepted in the scientific community. There are many unanswered questions and inconsistencies with this idea.

2. How would this theory explain the expansion of the universe?

One explanation is that the white hole is constantly creating new matter and energy, which is then being pulled into the black hole, causing the expansion of the universe. However, this is still just a hypothesis and has not been proven.

3. What evidence supports this theory?

Currently, there is no solid evidence that the universe is a black hole inside a white hole. Some scientists have theorized that the cosmic microwave background radiation could be evidence of the black hole's event horizon, but this is still speculation.

4. How would this theory explain the origin of the universe?

If the universe is a black hole inside a white hole, then the white hole would have to be responsible for creating the black hole and the initial singularity that led to the Big Bang. However, this raises even more questions about the nature of white holes and how they could create a black hole as massive as our universe.

5. What are the implications of this theory?

If this theory were to be proven true, it would completely change our understanding of the universe. It would challenge our current theories of gravity and the laws of physics. It could also have implications for the possibility of time travel and the fate of the universe.