CraxyCat's Yahoo Answers Question

• MHB
  • Thread starter CaptainBlack
  • Start date
In summary, the discrimnant of \(kx^2 - 4x + k\) is \(16-4k^2\) and for equal roots, \(k\) can have values of \(\pm2\).
CaptainBlack
CrazyCat's Question:
"Find the discrimnant of \(kx^2 - 4x + k\) in terms of \(k\), hence find possible values of \(k\) given that \(kx^2 -4x + k = 0\) has equal roots."

Answer:

For a quadratic \(ax^2+bx+c\) the discriminant is \(b^2-4ac\) this is the term that appears under the square root sign in the quadratic formula:
\[x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac} }{2a}\]for the solution of \(ax^2+bx+c=0\). The quadratic equation has equal roots precisely when the discriminant is zero.

Now for the problem at hand \(a=k\), \(b=-4\) and \(c=k\) so the discriminant is \(D=b^2-4ac=16-4k^2\), and when \(D=0\) we have \(16-4k^2=0\) which we may solve for \(k\) to find: \(k=\pm2\).

CB

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I agree.

1. What is "CraxyCat's Yahoo Answers Question" about?

"CraxyCat's Yahoo Answers Question" is a question posed by a user named CraxyCat on the Yahoo Answers platform. The topic of the question can vary, as it is asked by different users and about different subjects.

2. Who is CraxyCat and why is their question significant?

CraxyCat is a username used by a user on Yahoo Answers. Their question may not necessarily be significant, but it may have caught the attention of others and sparked a discussion or debate.

3. How can I find "CraxyCat's Yahoo Answers Question" on the platform?

You can search for "CraxyCat's Yahoo Answers Question" on the Yahoo Answers platform by typing the keywords into the search bar. You can also browse through the questions and look for the username "CraxyCat" to find their question.

4. Is "CraxyCat's Yahoo Answers Question" a credible source of information?

As with any information found on the internet, it is important to verify the credibility and accuracy of "CraxyCat's Yahoo Answers Question" before using it as a source. It is always recommended to cross-check information from multiple sources.

5. Can I answer "CraxyCat's Yahoo Answers Question" even if I am not CraxyCat?

Yes, anyone can answer "CraxyCat's Yahoo Answers Question" as long as they have a Yahoo account. It is a community platform where users can share their knowledge and opinions on various topics.