Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current status of twistor theory

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Can anybody present a brief summary regarding the current status of twistor theory?

What are the major problems and why has this research program failed? What has twistor theory to say about quantizing the spacetime manifold and/or general relativity?

Thanks
    Tom

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

150 accesses an not one single comment! is the the wrong place to ask this question?

4. Jun 14, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Tom! :smile:

I think twistor theory is just so obscure and unfashionable … and such a relative failure … that nobody here knows anythig about it. :redface:

(though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twistor_Theory" [Broken] does have one snippet of news:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jun 19, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Jun 19, 2009 #5

Haelfix

Science Advisor

It depends what you mean by twistor theory. If you mean the quantum gravity proposal pioneered by Penrose, then I don't know who or how many people are working on that. If you mean twistors in the sense of studying YM amplitudes and its application to string theory and so forth, then the subject is booming.

Nima Arkani Hamed and his whole clique are pretty big into that atm and theres a lot of great work being done in it.

7. Jun 19, 2009 #6
    Haelfix, I've heard occasionally lately about this new intersection of Twistors with string theory but I still don't understand exactly what it entails. Is there any particular introduction to the subject you might be able to recommend?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook