Cutting a Groove -- Power Requirement

In summary: The width of the groove will be 80 mm, the depth will be around 5 mm. The machine will be able to produce around 1000 pieces per hour.In summary, the machine is designed to create grooves on round objects with a width of 80 mm and a depth of 5 mm. The machine is able to produce around 1000 pieces per hour. The Rotational speed of the workpiece, Speed of the tool (feed), and Specific cutting power needed for the workpiece at elevated temperatures are all dependent on each other and need to be determined in order to select the correct motors.
George Zucas
Hello,

I am designing a machine that will make grooves on round objects. Not a perfect groove actually, think of a sheave, so round profile. I have the attached formula for cutting power taken from below website:

http://www.iscar.com/Products.aspx/countryID/1/ProductID/32

In my case, W=80mm, f=0.1mm/s. Vc=375m/min, efficiency I assumed as 0.8.

If I take Kc as around 2000 (steel is St52), I get power as 98kW! Obviously it is not possible to use such a motor-gearbox couple in my paltry device.

The possible problems:

- Groove width of 80 is too big: but this is what I need.
- Vc is too big: the round object is 800 mm in diameter, so even at average RPMs the velocity at the contact point becomes big.
-Kc is too big: Actual Kc in my case will be much lower because I will preheat the material. HOwever I can't find specific cutting force vs. temperature chart.

What can I do to find a reasonable power requirement? I have seen such a device with very small dimensions, so I know it is possible. I have limited experience with machining though.

Attachments

• GrooveForce.JPG
    GrooveForce.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 428
Engineering news on Phys.org
Use a narrower tool and traverse to get required width of cut .

Alternatively use a milling process .

Why do you need to design anything anyway ? Standard machine tools will do this task easily .

You should really learn at least the rudimentary basics of engineering before tackling a project like this .

Last edited:
Likes bsheikho and billy_joule
Are your units correct?

I see some mm then m/min. I didnt read the background, but that could be a reason.

Edit: NVM, m/min is your RPM

Nidum said:
Use a narrower tool and traverse to get required width of cut .

Alternatively use a milling process .

Why do you need to design anything anyway ? Standard machine tools will do this task easily .

You should really learn at least the rudimentary basics of engineering before tackling a project like this .

I am designing a new one for a couple of reasons:

- The workpieces for this project are rather big, with diameters of 800 mm - 1500 milimeters. Out of capacity of the lathes we use because of the size.

- The pieces will be heated, I tried to do some research and it seems pieces are heated to about 800-900 degrees Celsius. I don't know the exact reason but since the depth of cut is quite big I assume it is to decrease the specific cutting resistance of the material so that machining will go faster. We need quite a bit of modifying to make heating possible on existing devices. The lathes are also quite busy so this machine will only be doing this.

- I already designed the entire system, I need to select two motors; one for rotation of the workpiece, and one for the blade movement. I am trying to calculate power requirements. I know how to calculate it for machining by turning, but in those cases blade also moves sideways. This one I have never seen or calculated before.

For the tool suggestion, there is a specific cutting tool for this to make the needed cut profile. When you reach the desired depth, the shape is created by itself.

I would like to help you but there is just not enough information given for me to understand what is going on with this machining process .

I'll try to explain everything. I watched a perfect video for this a few weeks ago, but I can't find it now for the life of me. It would have been much easier. I'll still try to find it though.

What I am trying to manufacture with this machine is basically this (it is just the groove part I am interested in):

http://www.terradaptor.com/uploaded-files/accessoriesImages/SM230350_TerrAdaptor_Sheave_Assembly.png

I will start with a straight round plate, 50-100 mm thick, with a diameter of around 1000mm let's say. It will have a hole in the middle and using a shaft on the hole, I will rotate this piece. The machining tool will be on a small assembly on rails. There will be two motors, one for rotating the workpiece, one for the tool movement.

My undecided parameters are ( pretty much everything since they are all dependent on each other):

Rotational speed of the workpiece,
Speed of the tool (feed),
Specific cutting power needed for the workpiece at elevated temperatures (they are easily available for room temperatures but not for high temperatures).

If I find these, then selecting motors will be easy. Though the formula I linked above may be wrong, as you can see I not well versed in machining.

Even though the shape of the cut on the part is different I assumed it as a groove for easier calculation, feel free to prove me wrong if it is not the case.

As you can see with the shape of the groove, traversing with the tool is not really possible. It will be go in - go out.

1. What is meant by "Cutting a Groove -- Power Requirement"?

"Cutting a Groove -- Power Requirement" refers to the amount of power or energy required to create a groove or cut in a material using a specific tool or method.

2. How is the power requirement for cutting a groove determined?

The power requirement for cutting a groove is determined by several factors, including the type of material being cut, the depth and width of the groove, the speed and force of the cutting tool, and the efficiency of the cutting process.

3. Why is it important to consider the power requirement when cutting a groove?

The power requirement is important to consider when cutting a groove because it directly affects the efficiency and effectiveness of the cutting process. Using too little power may result in an incomplete or poor quality groove, while using too much power may cause damage to the cutting tool or the material being cut.

4. How can the power requirement for cutting a groove be reduced?

The power requirement for cutting a groove can be reduced by using more efficient cutting tools and techniques, optimizing the cutting parameters such as speed and force, and choosing the most suitable cutting method for the specific material being cut.

5. Are there any safety considerations when determining the power requirement for cutting a groove?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when determining the power requirement for cutting a groove. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate safety equipment to prevent accidents or injuries during the cutting process.