Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Cylindrical Poisson equation for semiconductors

1. Sep 8, 2017 #1
    In a cylindrical symmetry domain ## \Phi(r,z,\alpha)=\Phi(r,z) ##. Does anyone can point me what can be found in literature to solve, even with an approximate approach, this equation?
    [tex] \nabla^2 \Phi(r,z)=-\frac{q}{\epsilon} \exp(-\frac{\Phi(r,z)-V}{V_t}) [/tex]
    Where ## q, \epsilon, V ## and ## V_t ## are some (very well known) constants.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2017 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

First off, don't you want to include a background lattice charge density on the right hand side in addition to the mobile charge? To solve this, you'll probably need to use numerical methods. I've attached an old paper from Dutton and Pinto outlining what I think is the accepted technique. I have some expertise in this area, so if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Attached Files:

4. Sep 8, 2017 #3
    Thank you for your help, I will take a look at the paper for sure. Anyway, what I really need is an analitical solution; for example I have found in literature some papers about
    [tex] \nabla^2 \Phi(r)=-\frac{q}{\epsilon} \exp(- \frac{\Phi(r)-V}{V_t}) [/tex]

Ps: At the moment I do not need to inclued any fixed charge.

Thank you again!

5. Sep 8, 2017 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I don't know of an analytic solution. If you find one, let me know!

6. Sep 8, 2017 #5
    Sure!
    Thank you for the paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted