Cylindrical Poisson equation for semiconductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation \nabla^2 \Phi(r,z)=-\frac{q}{\epsilon} \exp(-\frac{\Phi(r,z)-V}{V_t}), which is used to solve for a cylindrical symmetry domain. The speaker asks for literature on solving this equation, to which the respondent suggests using numerical methods and provides a paper by Dutton and Pinto as a reference. The speaker then clarifies that they only need an analytical solution and the respondent admits to not knowing of one.
chimay
In a cylindrical symmetry domain ## \Phi(r,z,\alpha)=\Phi(r,z) ##. Does anyone can point me what can be found in literature to solve, even with an approximate approach, this equation?
[tex] \nabla^2 \Phi(r,z)=-\frac{q}{\epsilon} \exp(-\frac{\Phi(r,z)-V}{V_t}) [/tex]
Where ## q, \epsilon, V ## and ## V_t ## are some (very well known) constants.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, don't you want to include a background lattice charge density on the right hand side in addition to the mobile charge? To solve this, you'll probably need to use numerical methods. I've attached an old paper from Dutton and Pinto outlining what I think is the accepted technique. I have some expertise in this area, so if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments

• Dutton_Pinto_1985.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 358
Thank you for your help, I will take a look at the paper for sure. Anyway, what I really need is an analitical solution; for example I have found in literature some papers about
[tex] \nabla^2 \Phi(r)=-\frac{q}{\epsilon} \exp(- \frac{\Phi(r)-V}{V_t}) [/tex]

Ps: At the moment I do not need to inclued any fixed charge.

Thank you again!

I don't know of an analytic solution. If you find one, let me know!

Sure!
Thank you for the paper.

1. What is the cylindrical Poisson equation for semiconductors?

The cylindrical Poisson equation for semiconductors is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of electric potential in a cylindrical semiconductor material. It takes into account the charge density and permittivity of the material to determine the potential distribution in the material.

2. How is the cylindrical Poisson equation derived?

The cylindrical Poisson equation is derived from the Poisson's equation, which relates the electric potential to the charge density in a material. By considering the geometry of a cylindrical semiconductor material, specific boundary conditions are applied to the Poisson's equation, resulting in the cylindrical Poisson equation.

3. What are the applications of the cylindrical Poisson equation in semiconductors?

The cylindrical Poisson equation is commonly used in the modeling and simulation of semiconductor devices, such as diodes, transistors, and solar cells. It helps in understanding the behavior of electric potential and charge distribution in these devices, which is crucial for their performance and design optimization.

4. Are there any limitations to the cylindrical Poisson equation?

Like any mathematical model, the cylindrical Poisson equation has its limitations. It assumes the semiconductor material to be homogeneous, isotropic, and in thermal equilibrium. It also neglects the effects of surface recombination and surface charges, which can significantly impact the potential distribution in the material. Therefore, it is essential to consider these limitations when using the cylindrical Poisson equation in semiconductor device simulations.

5. How can the cylindrical Poisson equation be solved?

The cylindrical Poisson equation can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions are only possible for simple geometries and boundary conditions, while numerical methods are used for more complex cases. Some common numerical techniques used to solve the cylindrical Poisson equation include finite difference method, finite element method, and boundary element method.