Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damn! I didn't get my seven figures fee!

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It isn't actually me who didn't get my usual seven figures fee, but the actor Randy Quaid, who played the sour Joe Aguirre in "Brokeback Mountain".
    According to him, the producers of Brokeback lied to him, and said there was no prospect that the movie would make any money, and for that reason, he chose to waive his usual fee.

Now, he's suing the company, it seems:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/24/people.randyquaid.ap/index.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2
    Why should I be concerned? Is he going to give me some? My birthday is coming up, soon.

4. Mar 25, 2006 #3
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good scam.

Waive your seven-figure fee, then sue for eight.

5. Mar 25, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This begs the question...if he believed the movie wouldn't make any money, why did he agree to participate in the project?

6. Mar 25, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Agreed, it is sort of strange.
    For example:
    If he were enthused about the project, and wanted to be in on that even if it meant he would be paid less than usual, then it seems unlikely he would have dragged this into court.

My bet is he's just as much a curmudgeon as Joe Aguirre ever was, and that that's basically his "reason" for doing this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?