Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dark matter and black holes!

1. Jul 31, 2011 #1
    When it comes to dark matter; Has the mass of the super-massive black holes residing at the core of every galaxy been taken into consideration? Could the total mass of all black holes account for the missing mass in the universe?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2011 #2
    Dark matter is responsible for the expanding universe, creating a cosmological constant that is greater than 1, meaning a cosmos that is expanding at an accelerated rate. If we just used the black holes mass as the extra mass of the universe, gravity would overcome the positive cosmological constant and start the big collapse

4. Jul 31, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes it has, people aren't that stupid.

Dark matter, not dark energy. They're different things.

5. Jul 31, 2011 #4
    But if we consider one to be a condensed form of the other they may be responsible at different times in their existance to act out the same affect

6. Jul 31, 2011 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They're completely different phenomena.

7. Jul 31, 2011 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

About the supermassive black holes: There is other 'not very visible' matter in the universe like dwarf stars, neutron stars, ordinary gasses, black holes, etc which are called MACHOs. Evidence so far seems to say that these MACHOs couldn't possibly account for dark matter.

Also, dark matter and dark energy are two different things.

I think there is a misconception about how great the mass of a supermassive black hole is. Their mass is small, as compared to the total mass of the galaxy.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  8. Jul 31, 2011 #7
    How can this be if it is the supermassive black hole keeping the galaxy together and have a mass smaller than the galaxy?

9. Jul 31, 2011 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The galaxy is HUGE. Also, in any orbiting system, it actually doesn't matter much how big the central object is when it comes to how much can orbit around that central object. If you have a million solar mass black hole at the center of a galaxy, you could have 1 billion sollar masses worth of stuff orbiting it. As long as it's spread out, everything would still orbit around the one giant concentrated mass that is the super-massive black hole.

The sum of the masses of the planets in our solar system don't really compare to the mass of the Sun, but you can do the same thing with our solar system. You could scatter jupiter sized planets all over the place and as long as they don't get clumped up or are very close to the Sun, you still could have everything orbiting the Sun.

10. Jul 31, 2011 #9
    OK; Thanks.

Last Question: Is there a limit to how much matter can be compressed (like in black holes)?

11. Jul 31, 2011 #10
    I've never heard of such an upper limit to a mass of a black hole.

12. Jul 31, 2011 #11
    I did not mean how much matter can be ingested but how much compression can matter accept!

13. Jul 31, 2011 #12

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Infinite compression. Of course there could be a finite amount before matter turns into something else, but who knows.

14. Jul 31, 2011 #13
    Ah but that is a mystery worth looking into! If a black hole has no limit to the amount of matter it ingests and yet matter is compressed into a singularity at the core of a black hole then we have a problem:

Either matter is infinitely compressible or it ends up elsewhere; like into another universe! I mean theoretically a black hole can swallow whole galaxies.

Does anyone know the limits of compressibility of matter?

15. Jul 31, 2011 #14

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It really doesn't matter. We cannot detect anything past the event horizon, thus as far as we are concerned the "size" of the black hole is defined by its event horizon. The event horizon of a black hole is directly proportional to its mass. If a black hole swallows a mass equal to its own, its event horizon doubles in radius. This means that the volume enclosed by the BH more than doubles. If we take the mass of a black hole an divide it into this volume, we find that the effective density of the black hole goes down as it gets more massive.

To us, outside of the black hole, it does not matter if the mass stops compressing right after crossing the event horizon or continues on towards a singularity. All we can know is that it got larger and more massive.

16. Jul 31, 2011 #15
    OK now I understand. Thank you for clarifying. Now to ask yet one more relevant question: Since information cannot be destroyed then would I be correct in saying that all information stays at the event horizon? If this so then what is beyond the event horizon is basically nothing?

17. Jul 31, 2011 #16
    I think that's the whole point: the supermassive black hole as well as everything else we see in the galaxy is NOT enough to keep the galaxy together. Something else must be providing the gravity to do so...

18. Jul 31, 2011 #17
    There is at least 1 effect that prevents the formation of singularities. As the matter compresses it causes greater and greater gravity. Gravity can be modeled as warped spacetime. The more intense the gravity, the more time slows down as compared to an outside observer. From our perspective, outside the black hole, the time needed for a star to collaps to a singularity would be infinite.

What you would observe as you fell into a black hole I don't know.

19. Aug 1, 2011 #18

Drakkith

I thought that issue had been taken care of by someone already?

20. Aug 1, 2011 #19
    But does not mass require time in order to exist? If time at the core of a black hole is zero then mass cannot exist and thus not even a singularity can exist. Besides if the information remains at the event horizon then so too mass cannot exist even in an extremely compressed state.

How can non mass create such a gravitational effect that nothing can escape it?

21. Aug 1, 2011 #20

Drakkith

Time only slows down for an observer in a frame of reference DIFFERENT from another frame. If you were to fall into a black hole (and survive) YOU would not experience any time dilation for yourself, ever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook