Dark matter comprises over 80% of the universe

In summary: With that much stuff, you'd think we'd be swimming in it.In summary, according to the article, dark matter comprises over 80% of the universe. It is not so hard to find, but we cannot see or feel it.
Ameretsu
Hello, all! I am no physicist, so please bear with me. I just read an article that stated that dark matter comprises over 80% of the universe. If this is true, why is it so hard to find? With that much stuff, you'd think we'd be swimming in it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Because dark matter does not interact through any of the fundamental forces except for gravity. Normal matter particles interact with other particles through gravitation, electromagnetism, the strong force, and the weak interaction. Without the latter 3, dark matter quite literally passes through everything else without being slowed. Even light just goes right on through it with no consequences. Since light doesn't bounce off of it or anything, we can't see it.

We could be swimming in it and you would never know.

Ameretsu said:
Hello, all! I am no physicist, so please bear with me. I just read an article that stated that dark matter comprises over 80% of the universe. If this is true, why is it so hard to find? With that much stuff, you'd think we'd be swimming in it.

Actually, Dark Matter comprises only about 27% of all the mass-energy of the observable universe. It is not so hard to find either. Read the below Wiki page and be sure to check on some of the references used for the original papers. You'll see it is fairly easy to find, just hard to know what it's made of.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter#Galaxy_clusters_and_gravitational_lensing

Thank you for your reply.

So, that means that we cannot see, or feel dark matter in any way except by inference. May we assume that dark matter is then flowing through us? I find that concept a little hard to wrap my head around. I mean, if it is affected by gravity, shouldn't we be able to feel these particles in some way?

Ameretsu said:
Thank you for your reply.

So, that means that we cannot see, or feel dark matter in any way except by inference. May we assume that dark matter is then flowing through us?

Sure.

I find that concept a little hard to wrap my head around. I mean, if it is affected by gravity, shouldn't we be able to feel these particles in some way?

Gravity is very, very weak. It would take a LOT of dark matter in order for you to feel it.

Also, you have scadzillions of neutrino's passing through you every second and you don't feel them either, although I do think they make my throat a little dry from time to time. :smile:

Is scadzillions a real number, Phinds?

Drakkith said:

It's certainly not a complex number. That would be ridiculous.

Drakkith said:

Yes. It is 10 to the umpty upm. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

phinds said:
Yes. It is 10 to the umpty upm. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Ah, so 10^umpty^upm.

Drakkith said:
Ah, so 10^umpty^upm.

no, 10^umpty-ump. That is, "umpty ump" is a singular phrase and its value is log base 10 of a scadzillion.

So, that means that we cannot see, or feel dark matter in any way except by inference. May we assume that dark matter is then flowing through us?

I would not make such an assumption. It appears dark matter is at least located in the vicinity of large astronomical objects like galaxies and clusters of galaxies. Whether there is any between me and my computer screen is conjecture. Since 95% of the matter/energy in the universe has only been recently 'discovered' we probably should await some further knowledge before making some assumptions. And don't rule out 'virtual' particles and 'anti matter'...

Anti matter may have been consumed at the big bang such that scadzillions annihilated with 101 scadzillions of matter particles and our universe is a paltry leftover of real matter...'refuse' of creation. Add in virtual particles about which we do not have a complete understanding, which may also 'exist' all around us as quanta of non zero vacuum energy...well, whatever constitutes this universe, a lot seems way beyond most current science.

There is no way to determine what percentage of anything occupies the universe since there is no way to know what the hundred percent is.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that is hypothesized to make up about 85% of the total mass in the universe. It does not interact with light and is therefore invisible, making it difficult to detect and study.

2. How do scientists know that dark matter exists?

Scientists have observed the effects of dark matter on the movement of galaxies and the bending of light in space. These observations indicate that there is a large amount of unseen matter present in the universe, leading to the hypothesis of dark matter.

3. What is the difference between dark matter and regular matter?

Dark matter and regular matter are fundamentally different in their properties. Regular matter is made up of atoms and interacts with light, while dark matter does not. Additionally, regular matter is responsible for creating stars and other visible structures, while dark matter plays a more supportive role in the formation of these structures.

4. How is dark matter studied and measured?

Dark matter is primarily studied through its gravitational effects on visible matter. Scientists also use indirect methods such as observing the cosmic microwave background radiation and studying the rotation curves of galaxies to measure the presence of dark matter.

5. What are some theories about the composition of dark matter?

There are several theories about what dark matter may be made of, including weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs), axions, and sterile neutrinos. However, the exact composition and nature of dark matter is still a mystery and is an active area of research in the scientific community.