Deciding Between Calculus I & Calculus w/ Analytic GeometryI

In summary, the community college offers a 4 credit course called "Calculus I for Transfer," while the university offers a 5 credit course called "Calculus with Analytic Geometry I for Transfer." The 4 credit course is the same as the course at the university, but the 5 credit course has more content. The course descriptions for the two courses are different, with the 5 credit course having more content.
havonasun
I work full-time, so evening or online classes are all I can do. I need to take calculus from the community college I've been attending, but it is not offered in the evening. In fact, none of the local colleges or universities offer it in the evening, so I must do it online. So I go to register for it, but notice that there are two offerings - Calculus I for 4 credits, and Calculus with Analytic Geometry I for 5 credits. The 4 credit course is the one that is part of their transfer core. I'm studying for an Engineering Physics degree, which will be completed somewhere else (don't know where yet, and that is another frustration). I have printed out the degree requirements from numerous schools (to stay on track with course selection), and some of them say w/analytic geometry. I also have a concern that these credits may not transfer, as I will be relocating to a different accreditation region before I finish. My gut tells me that a transcript that says Calculus I for four credits will be fine, and I shouldn't worry. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
One could best guess that the 5-credit Calculus with Analytic Geometry 1, IS a proper course for Engineering major field students and that it DOES transfer. If not, then this would be very strange.

One would also normally guess that this Calculus + Analytic Geometry 1 course of 5 units is a better choice than the 4 unit Calculus 1 course.

We members may wonder, what are the precise course descriptions of each of these two courses?

That's exactly what I thought. But the articulation agreement for the other schools only includes the 4 credit course. Putting the two syllabi side by side, the course description for the 4 credit course and the topics covered are large paragraphs, while the 5 credit course has merely lip service. Very odd. I most certainly would rather take the course that had the most to offer with the best transferability, regardless of difficulty. I was just looking for public documents to post here for comparison, and I ended finding a bunch of course equivalency agreements with various schools. They show that both courses have the same equivalent, so whichever one a student takes, the equivalent is plain old Calculus I.

What is the difference between Calculus I and Calculus with Analytic Geometry?

Calculus I is a course that focuses on the fundamental concepts and techniques of differential and integral calculus. It covers topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Calculus with Analytic Geometry, on the other hand, also includes topics from analytic geometry such as conic sections, polar coordinates, and vectors.

What are the prerequisites for taking Calculus I and Calculus with Analytic Geometry?

The prerequisites for Calculus I and Calculus with Analytic Geometry vary depending on the institution. However, they typically require a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and precalculus. Some schools may also require students to take a placement test before enrolling in these courses.

Which course should I take if I am interested in pursuing a career in engineering or science?

If you are interested in a career in engineering or science, it is recommended to take Calculus with Analytic Geometry. This course covers more advanced topics that are relevant to these fields and will better prepare you for higher level math courses in college.

Is it possible to take both Calculus I and Calculus with Analytic Geometry?

Yes, it is possible to take both courses. However, it may not be necessary as Calculus with Analytic Geometry already includes the topics covered in Calculus I. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your academic goals.

What are some resources for helping me decide which course to take?

There are several resources available to help you decide between Calculus I and Calculus with Analytic Geometry. You can speak to your high school math teacher, academic advisor, or current college students to get their insights and recommendations. Additionally, you can also research the course syllabus and class descriptions to get a better understanding of the topics covered in each course.