Deciding between Edinburgh or Manchester University

• Thread starter Richardbryant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edinburgh
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on which university is best for them, specifically in terms of research and lecture quality, environment, accommodation, and finance, for a Physics program. One person can only give advice on the University of Manchester, mentioning that it is expensive for accommodation but has a great city and highly ranked university. The other person has no knowledge about the University of Edinburgh's program. Overall, Manchester is known for its strictness towards students but has a good physics program. The person seeking advice is interested in the structure and quality of the Manchester program, as well as the details of the Edinburgh program.
Richardbryant
Hi guys

I had just received offer from the university of Edinburgh and the university of Manchester.

I am now frustrated of which university is best feat for me,.

Can anyone give me some suggestion from different aspect such as research and lecture quality , environment ,accomendation and finance?

Physics news on Phys.org
For Physics?

I can only give advice on Manchester (I know a lot of people there). Are you from the UK (that'll make talk of finance easier due to student loan differences), accommodation - everywhere in Manchester is very expensive. Think ~£150+ a week expensive if you stay in the centre, which is a pain. However cost of living (food etc) is much cheaper than other places (but I'm from Oxford where everything is stupidly expensive so was shocked when coming up and seeing how cheap food was) If you decide to live in a house/ flat away from the city centre I'd advise this - I pay £77 bills-included for my room in Salford (which is just outside Manchester city). Manchester is a great city otherwise with many great places. I don't go to Manchester University but many friends do - it has it's many upsides and downsides. Upside - one of the best universities (league tables wise), the research is world leading and I've heard good things about certain lecturers, however downside - not that much support for students if they have problems. It's the worst university in the UK on free speech so if you plan to say anything negative about it - prepare to be reprimanded! I find that quite a few students on the Physics course drop out and switch to my university (Salford) or Leeds as they can't handle the stress or expectations of Man Uni Physics.

TL;DR - if you can handle it, Man Uni can be an excellent time.

As for Edinburgh, I have no clue, hopefully someone else can tell you about it.

Thank you Larry! Seems like Manchester is quite strict towards student :( , however, may i know how you feel about the manchester university physics program structure and overall quality? I had read the program offered by Edinburgh, from the program structure, it seems to be an excellent course. Unfortunately the details of manchester university program is not clear enough for me

What are the main differences between Edinburgh and Manchester University?

The main differences between Edinburgh and Manchester University include location, course offerings, and campus size. Edinburgh University is located in the capital city of Scotland, while Manchester University is located in the city of Manchester in England. Additionally, Edinburgh University has a larger campus and offers a wider range of courses, including more specialized programs in fields such as literature and history.

Which university has a better reputation for academics?

Both Edinburgh and Manchester University have excellent reputations for academics. Edinburgh University is ranked higher in the UK overall, but Manchester University has highly regarded programs in fields such as business and engineering. Ultimately, it depends on the specific program and your personal academic interests.

What is the cost of tuition at each university?

The cost of tuition at each university varies depending on the program and your residency status. As of 2021, the annual tuition for international students at Edinburgh University ranges from £20,600 to £34,800, while at Manchester University it ranges from £19,000 to £27,500. It is important to check the specific tuition fees for your desired program at each university.

What are the social and cultural opportunities like at each university?

Both Edinburgh and Manchester University offer a vibrant and diverse social and cultural scene. Edinburgh is known for its historic landmarks and festivals, while Manchester has a bustling music and arts scene. Both universities also have a variety of student clubs and organizations to get involved in.

Which university has a better job placement rate for graduates?

Both Edinburgh and Manchester University have high job placement rates for their graduates. It ultimately depends on your chosen field of study and your own individual efforts in securing employment. It is recommended to research the job placement rates for your specific program at each university to make an informed decision.