Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deep thoughts from a squirrel monkey

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I was updating one of our bulletin boards (the kind that you attach paper things to with thumbtacks, not the online kind) and found a New York Times article that I stuck up there a year and a half ago. It had to do with studies of consciousness in animals, and was illustrated with some pictures of experimental animals with humorous cartoon-style "thought balloons." Here's my favorite:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2
    I don't get it. Can someone explain to in a "I have very little biology/psychology knowledge" kind of way?

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That the lab rat fully understands the psychology experiements that it is in and just regards them as part of the price to pay for living in a lab. ie The test subject is smarter than the person doing the experiment.

There's a similair joke in HitchHikers when it's explained to the human that lab mice were running the earth and people were just part of their experiment.

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The part that resonated with me was the last sentence. :biggrin:

6. Nov 10, 2008 #5
    the lab can't be any worse than a cubicle

7. Nov 10, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's better - I just have to press this little button with my nose and food comes out.
    And there are no TPS reports, email or PowerPoint!

8. Nov 10, 2008 #7
    We need to talk. I heard you were having problems with your TPS reports.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?