mgb_phys said:
when the water half fills the can there must be twice as much pressure as at the surface
200 kPa which i calculated. 100 kPa at the surface
mgb_phys said:
so the question is asking what depth of water s equal to atmopsheric pressure.
Thats a weird question.. the pressure underneath the water PLUS the pressure from the atmosphere totals 200 kPa!
I think this is where I went wrong. I assumed that 200 kPa was the pressure the gas inside the can was experiencing and I had wrongly assumed that the 200 kPa was from the water only!
From what i can understand from this question. At first when the can is opened there is already pressure on it right? from the atmosphere and then let's say i forced the can down to 1 m underneath water that means the total pressure is 100 kPa + 10 kPa (from 1m in water) = 110 kPa total pressure. since 100 kpa is already forced upon the water and the can is INSIDE the water all i had left was 100 kpa
more pressure from water therefore totalling 200 kpa. Am I right in this line of thinking? I am typing this up really fast. I hope I am not wrong :( If I am incorrect in my line of thinking.. please help me correct it.. Thanks guys! that was puzzling :S but good!
ORRR i can use boyle's law where it says that PV = constant!
lets say:
P1=100
P2=200
V1=?
V2=1/2 V1
plug and play into boyle's expression:
P1V1=P2V2
100V1=200(1/2 V1)
100V1=100V1
which both of them are equal!
does the 1/2 factor simplify the pressure down to 100? and have nothing to do with the volume? just like u said before
mgb_phys said:
so the question is asking what depth of water s equal to atmopsheric pressure.
If I didn't know all this would I use 200 kPa or simplify it down like that and use 100 kPa using 1/2 factor from volume?
I know its a lot of questions.. but please help me clarify this.. thanks.