Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derived Subgroup (In particular Q8)

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    So if G = Q8 = <a, b : a^4 = 1, b^2 = a^2, b^{-1}ab = a^{-1}>

I'm fine with the notion of the derived subgroup G' = <[g,h] : g, h in G>

(Where [g,h] = g^{-1}h^{-1}gh)

But I can't see why G' = {1, a^2}, I can only seem to get everything to be 1!? i.e. g = a, h = a^3 ===> a^{-1}a^{-3}aa^3 = 1 etc.

And given the conjugacy classes of Q8 are: {1}, {a^2}, {a, a^3}, {b, a^2b}, {ab, a^3b}

Is it a case of just checking an element g and an element h from each of the 5 conjugacy classes, not all 8 elements? i.e. if we check g = b, we don't need to check g = a^2b as well.

(Sorry if this should be in the homework area, but it's not a "homework" question, just a problem I've come across reading a textbook and is a more general derived subgroup problem too!)

Thanks in advance!!! :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi OMM! :smile:

Just pick two elements that don't commute. For example, a and b.

There is a very handy theorem for calculating derived subgroups:

If G is a finite group, then the derived subgroup H of G is the smallest normal subgroup such that G/H is abelian.

Q8 is not abelian, so {1} cannot be the derived subgroup. But Q8/{1,a2} is abelian (it contains 4 elements), so {1,a2} must be the derived subgroup. (it only needs to be checked that it's normal)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook