Deriving the Kubo Formula for Viscosity in Thermal Relativistic QFT

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Kurret
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
I am looking for a derivation of the following formula
$$
\eta=\lim_{\omega\rightarrow0} \frac{1}{2\omega}\int dt dx\langle[T_{xy}(t,x),T_{xy}(0,0)]\rangle,
$$
where $T_{xy}$ is a component of the stress-energy tensor. This is claimed in for instance https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0405231.pdf. There seems to be a derivation in https://arxiv.org/pdf/1207.7021.pdf, but it seems overly complicated and involved extra features. So before I dig into that paper to try to understand it, I would like to ask if someone knows a simple derivation of the above Kubo formula for the viscosity?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Kubo formulae are very important. I recommend to first look at the usual many-body approach before using special models like AdS/CFT ;-)). It's linear-response theory. For thermal relativistic QFT you find a nice treatment in

J. Kapusta, C. Gale, Finite-temperature field theory, Cambridge University Press
 
vanhees71 said:
The Kubo formulae are very important. I recommend to first look at the usual many-body approach before using special models like AdS/CFT ;-)). It's linear-response theory. For thermal relativistic QFT you find a nice treatment in

J. Kapusta, C. Gale, Finite-temperature field theory, Cambridge University Press
Actually the paper I referred to just applies the Kubo formula in an AdS/CFT context, but they don't derive it (it just happened to be the place where I saw it). I am interested in a derivation of this formula indeed using standard linear response theory (nothing to do with AdS/CFT). Thanks for the reference, I will have a look.