Determine size of planet's core by distance S-waves travel

  • Thread starter Thread starter scatterbrain8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Core Travel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
scatterbrain8
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
You are visiting a new planet with radius of 5000km. You set up a seismic network and detonate a test chare at the north pole at time T=0. At time T=24minutes your instruments detect S-waves at a latitude of -60 degrees. No S-waves are detected south of -60 degrees.

what is the size and nature of the planet's core?


So, I know S-waves can't penetrate liquid, but they do not travel linearly because they refract through different density layers. However, I don't understand why the S-waves travel all the way down to -60 degrees. Can a planet have a core that is off center? I don't really know where to start, any help would be appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org