Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the Quality factor of resonator

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    Respected members,
    PLEASE help me in determining quality factor of a piezoelectric rectangular plate MEMS RESONATOR in COMSOL multiphysics.there is a need to define some 'damping'.where should i define that..
    PLS HELP ME ITS URGENT
    thank you and best

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

How is the quality factor "Q" defined? How are you modelling the mechanical oscillations in COMSOL so far? Can you show us what you have done so far?

4. Jul 5, 2011 #3
    thanks for your quick reply

I am working on piezoelectric (aluminium nitride) vibrating contour mode resonators and filters.i am using COMSOL multyphysics 4.0a.
    i have a rectangular plate geometry and i want to find contour mode that i got already.i got desired eigenmode(contour) at some eigenfrequency.
    this is the thing i wanna design (http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~piazza/Papers/Piazza_JMEMS_jan07.pdf [Broken]
    but i want to find Quality factor according to each eigenfrequency of desired mode.
    i search in help there was a formula for Q. they r calculating Q by eigenvalue(lemda) as imaginary part divided by twice real part of lemda.thats ok
    but i am getting purely imaginary lemda according to desired mode in comsol.means infinite Q
    but it should be some definite value...

i am getting some complex lemdas also.which r not according to desired eigenmode.by formula Q will comes order of e-7 or lesser.

MEANS I DONT KNOW HOW TO FIND Q OF A GIVEN GEOMETRY ??

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook