Determining the required properties of a submersion cooler system

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in selecting a suitable radiator for a submersion cooling system. They are designing a series of chassis and cooling rigs for Ant Miner S-9 units and APW3 power supplies, which will be submerged in mineral oil. The oil has a specific heat of 1.67kj/kgK and the rigs need to dissipate 3.5kw of heat. The radiator should be all aluminum with a fan and pump for forced ventilation and continuous circulation of the oil. They are also looking for information on the temperature of the oil on the hot side, leaving temperature of the air, and air flow rate. They have provided a source for radiator catalogs, but note that the design process may be iterative
orris
TL;DR Summary
I require assistance in selecting a suitable radiator for a submersion cooing system
Summary: I require assistance in selecting a suitable radiator for a submersion cooing system

Hello,

I am designing a series of chassis's and cooling rigs that will house ant miner s-9 units along side their apw3 power supplies flooded with mineral oil within the housing.
Each unit will consist of a steel pipe 28'' in length with an I.D of 6 in \ approx 6.35 in reality \yielding roughly 792/in^3 for aprox 3.5gal of mineral oil
witch has a specific heat of 1.67kj/kgK not much different than air but i need to use a liquid that is thermally conductive but not electrically conductive as the units will be submerged. Between the mining unit and the powersupply each rig need to dissipate roughly 3.5kw
I am having a very interesting time trying to find a formula to size my radiator selection .
The radiator should be an all aluminum affair with fan on one side providing forced ventilation,Aswell as a small pump to keep the oil continuously circulating.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to find the following:
Temperature of oil on the hot side where it comes out of what you are cooling.
One of the following (note that you calculate one from the other):
Temperature of oil leaving the cooler
OR
Flow rate of oil
What is the maximum temperature of the air into the radiator?
The leaving temperature of the air is calculated from the air flow rate, or vice versa.
With all of the above information, you are ready to start studying radiator catalogs.

Here is one source of radiators: http://www.willowsra.com/new_cuts/Water%20Coils/WSD_Coils.pdf. They are not exactly what you are looking for, but will give you some idea of what information is available. You would need to interpolate for your temperatures, and adjust for oil instead of water. I have one of their 18X20 coils heating my shop, and their specifications seem to be accurate.

Have fun, because the design process is iterative.

1. What is a submersion cooler system?

A submersion cooler system is a type of cooling system that uses a liquid, typically water, to remove heat from a device or system. The device or system is submerged in the liquid, allowing for efficient heat transfer and cooling.

2. How do you determine the required properties of a submersion cooler system?

The required properties of a submersion cooler system depend on several factors, including the heat load of the device or system, the type and flow rate of the liquid used, and the desired temperature of the cooled device or system. These properties can be determined through calculations and simulations, as well as through testing and experimentation.

3. What are the benefits of using a submersion cooler system?

Submersion cooler systems offer several benefits, including efficient heat transfer, compact design, and the ability to cool multiple devices or systems simultaneously. They also require less maintenance compared to other cooling methods and can be used in harsh environments.

4. Are there any limitations to using a submersion cooler system?

While submersion cooler systems have many advantages, they also have some limitations. These include the potential for leakage or contamination of the cooling liquid, as well as the need for proper insulation and sealing to prevent damage to the device or system being cooled.

5. How can the performance of a submersion cooler system be optimized?

The performance of a submersion cooler system can be optimized by carefully selecting the properties of the cooling liquid, as well as the design and placement of the cooling system. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help to ensure optimal performance and prevent any potential issues.

Back