Dictionary of symbols across cultures and disciplines

  • Thread starter Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 9K views
honestrosewater
Gold Member
Messages
2,133
Reaction score
6
I'm looking for a book or website that is basically a dictionary of symbols or symbolism. It would have an entry for, say, fire and would list the different meanings fire has had in different cultures and fields (myth, religion, art, literature, philosophy, etc.) I remember reading a book like this about symbolism in world religions, but can't remember its title. Another example might be about snakes as representing evil in one culture and wisdom in another. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about... I am especially *not* looking for an explanation of symbolism in general; I want specific symbols, a dictionary-type format. Thanks as always :)
Happy thoughts
Rachel
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hope somebody can guide you.

May I throw in a question? Traffic lights (at least in the USA) have three colors: red, amber, green. I can see how red symbolizes spilled blood. And green is peaceful and verdant, right? But what is the symbolic significance of amber? Leaves turning colors from balmy, safe summer into the teeth of a frighteningly cold winter, going through a yellowish stage maybe?
 
Janitor said:
Hope somebody can guide you.

May I throw in a question? Traffic lights (at least in the USA) have three colors: red, amber, green. I can see how red symbolizes spilled blood. And green is peaceful and verdant, right? But what is the symbolic significance of amber? Leaves turning colors from balmy, safe summer into the teeth of a frighteningly cold winter, going through a yellowish stage maybe?

Well what were their choices? The color has to contrast clearly with both red and green, and be visible from a distance. Blue and Purple are no good, so that just leaves the yellow-orange band. And that amber is right in the middle of it.
 
honestrosewater said:
I'm looking for a book or website that is basically a dictionary of symbols or symbolism. It would have an entry for, say, fire and would list the different meanings fire has had in different cultures and fields (myth, religion, art, literature, philosophy, etc.) I remember reading a book like this about symbolism in world religions, but can't remember its title. Another example might be about snakes as representing evil in one culture and wisdom in another. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about... I am especially *not* looking for an explanation of symbolism in general; I want specific symbols, a dictionary-type format. Thanks as always :)
Happy thoughts
Rachel
I didn't see any real points about your question. What kind of book is that ? Why do you need to check for symbols, and || or symbolism ? What is your major ?
There is actually no such a book, you should be daydreaming, I guess.
 
I honestly tell you the truth that there IS no such a book, or it is just a "synthetic/imaginary" one. Believe me or not ? I don't care. ;)
 
Hi honestrosewater. Here are some I found at amazon.com.

A Dictionary of Symbols (Penguin Dictionaries)
by Jean Chevalier, Alain Gheerbrant, John Buchanan-Brown

An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols
by J. C. Cooper

The Secret language of Symbols by David Fontana

Dictionary of Symbolism: Cultural Icons and the Meanings Behind Them
by Hans Biedermann, James Hulbert
 
Evo said:
Dictionary of Symbolism: Cultural Icons and the Meanings Behind Them
by Hans Biedermann, James Hulbert

Amazon- Doh! This is the book I was looking for! Thanks Evo :biggrin: