Did Bobby Fischer's Life Mirror the Chess Board He Mastered?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Werg22
Messages
1,431
Reaction score
1
GM Bobby Fischer passed away today. He was maybe not revered as a person, but the chess player was exceptional; a great loss indeed. RIP is all I can say.

"Chess," Bobby Fischer once said, "is life." It was the chess master's tragedy that the messy, tawdry details of his life often overshadowed the sublime genius of his game. Fischer, who has died at the age of 64, was a child prodigy, a teenage grandmaster and — before age 30 — a world champion who triumphed in a Cold War showdown with Soviet champion Boris Spassky.

More here: http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/01/18/1236873-chess-master-bobby-fischer-dead-at-64"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember the heady days of cold war chess very well. There was a time when chess got nearly as much press coverage as the moon landings, and Fisher was usually right in the middle of it!

RIP Bobby Fischer: Checkmate.
 
Ivan, all of these people are dying and they aren't much older than us.
 
I know.

The one that really got me was Gilligan. :cry::cry::cry: I will always think of Denver as a dorky kid.
 
RIP Bobby Fischer, the first truly born in the USA GM and one of the best :smile:
 
Nutty guy. Sad for such a smart guy to disgrace himself and his country.

 
Last edited by a moderator: