Chicken tenders left out for 6 hours, are they safe to eat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 11K views
Messages
23,902
Reaction score
11,357
So I'm about to find out if a box of frozen [not precooked] chicken tenders thawed and went bad when I accidentally left them on my kitchen floor for 6 hours. How are my odds?

...Wish me luck!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They should be OK.

I've eaten meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish) that has sat out for about 72 hrs on a kitchen counter, so I think 6 hrs is not a problem.
 
Why would it go bad? 6 hours isn't long. It probably took at least two hours before they became room temp. Come on engineer...
 
Cyrus said:
Why would it go bad? 6 hours isn't long. It probably took at least two hours before they became room temp. Come on engineer...
I'm an engineer, not a biologist. Actually, though, the box was still cool to the touch, so I wasn't too worried.
astronuc said:
I've eaten meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish) that has sat out for about 72 hrs on a kitchen counter, so I think 6 hrs is not a problem.
Yikes, I accidentally let meat thaw on the counter overnight about half the time (meaning to leave it out for a couple of hours, then put it in the fridge) and never eat it after that. I've opened packages of chicken that really smelled after that much time.
 
The bacterial colonies begin to grow after T > 40 degrees F.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fssummer.html

"The key is to never let your picnic food remain in the "Danger Zone" - between 40° F and 140° F - for more than 2 hours, or 1 hour if outdoor temperatures are above 90° F. This is when bacteria in food can multiply rapidly, and lead to foodborne illness."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just think of what people ate before the days of refrigeration.
 
Jeez, but you guys are wimps. We leave our left-overs out overnight all the time, and sometimes for a couple of days. Something frozen gets tossed into a sink of cold water for at least 8 hours to thaw it out enough for cooking.
 
russ_watters said:
I'm an engineer, not a biologist. Actually, though, the box was still cool to the touch, so I wasn't too worried. Yikes, I accidentally let meat thaw on the counter overnight about half the time (meaning to leave it out for a couple of hours, then put it in the fridge) and never eat it after that. I've opened packages of chicken that really smelled after that much time.

Cough cough, you do thermal design. :wink:

How cold to you think those packages are when you get them at the grocery store sitting on the shelf all day long. There not nearly as cold as your freezer. There just a little below room temp. There just 'cool'.
 
Last edited:
Cyrus said:
How cold to you think those packages are when you get them at the grocery store sitting on the shelf all day long. There not nearly as cold as your freezer.
I should hope so - otherwise that "Frozen Food Section" has a serious false advertising issue! :-p
 
Evo said:
Just think of what people ate before the days of refrigeration.
Beef Jerky?
Danger said:
Jeez, but you guys are wimps. We leave our left-overs out overnight all the time, and sometimes for a couple of days.
I also still have all my original teeth - you should try teasing me for that too! :rolleyes:
 
russ_watters said:
I also still have all my original teeth

So do I, with the exception of 2 wisdom teeth that I got yarded out about 6 years ago, and half of a front one that succumbed to a misplaced hockey stick. :biggrin:
 
You're safe, Russ. 6 hours at room temp to defrost is not excessive, considering the mass of the package and the fact that the interior (very cold, if not frozen) product was refrigerating the outer portions of the package. While thawing, the internal portions were drawing heat from the outer portions to supply the latent heat needed to make the phase-change from frozen to thawed.
 
How many engineers/chemists/physicsits does it take to thaw out a chicken.

Sorry mathematicians, you don't count...you integrate.
 
Cyrus said:
How many engineers/chemists/physicsits does it take to thaw out a chicken.

Sorry mathematicians, you don't count...you integrate.
One. And two ER nurses and an overworked intern to counter the salmonella poisoning if the E/C/P really screws up.
 
Cyrus said:
How many engineers/chemists/physicsits does it take to thaw out a chicken.

Or one of me with half a kilo of thermite...
 
Danger said:
Or one of me with half a kilo of thermite...
Won't the chicken be a *bit* over-done? And dispersed enough so that it would be hard to gather for consumption?
 
Evo said:
Just think of what people ate before the days of refrigeration.
Well my dad would slaughter a chicken just after church and mom would prepare (including cooking) so it would be ready for lunch after church. We lived next door to the church.

We made a lot of preservatives or picked directly from the garden.

Otherwise, before refrigeration, dried, dried/smoked, or dried/salted was the way to go.
 
turbo-1 said:
Won't the chicken be a *bit* over-done? And dispersed enough so that it would be hard to gather for consumption?

The trick is in the proper distribution of the thermite.
 
My mother and I processed and canned a lot of vegetables when I was a kid, and we salted down a lot of stuff in jars, including scallions, leeks, etc. We had a big chest freezer, but we needed that to store berries, fruits, fiddleheads, venison, and shares of pigs/beef, etc that we got through cooperation with our families. We also had a large potato bin in our dirt-floored, dry rock-walled cellar, and we buried root vegetables in wooden boxes filled with sand buried in the dirt floor. I grew up in the age of refrigeration, but not in the age of "adequate" refrigeration for long-term storage.
 
Danger said:
The trick is in the proper distribution of the thermite.
Ah! When I was a youngster, I played around with exothermic reactions a bit. Probably a good thing that I did not have access to thermite. "Boys will be boys" is not a valid response to the loss of a home, barn, out-buildings, etc.
 
russ_watters said:
Hmm...that last one didn't taste quite right.

Well...it's been about 2 hours since you ate it, Russ...hope you're OK :smile: !
 
turbo-1 said:
"Boys will be boys" is not a valid response to the loss of a home, barn, out-buildings, etc.

In retrospect, I agree. You wouldn't believe how many shotgun-powder rockets we fired around inside the house. Between things like that and early driving habits, it's bloody amazing that I'm still alive.

(For the benefit of non-gun nuts, I specified shotgun powder because it's slower-burning than other types.)
 
Microwaving for an infinite amount of time at an infinite power will kill just about any bacteria.
 
On the other hand, taking a leg of lamb backbacking, and nawing on it for a week is a bad idea.
 
Phrak said:
On the other hand, taking a leg of lamb backbacking, and nawing on it for a week is a bad idea.

You realize you're supposed to shave the wool off first, right?
 
Medical treatment for salmonella? You guys really are wimps! Just put a bog roll in the fridge and don't venture too far from the khazi.
 
As someone who worked in supermarkets as a student.
The frozen deliveries arrive as the store closes - then they sit on pallets on the shop floor, it takes a whole shift to refill all the freezers. So some of the stuff has been sitting there long enough to defrost. That's why a lot of the bags of frozen veg are a single solid lump.