Did Palin and her cronies use the lipstick smear to set up Obama?

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, Palin and her cronies set Obama up by modifying the "put lipstick on a pig" metaphor to "hockey moms=pit bulls with lipstick." Obama's comments about "my muslim faith" were also likely a reference to this attack. If only Americans could see through this, we would be better off. McCain is a terrible hypocrite, and Huckabee has displayed some integrity in this debate.
Loren Booda
Palin (and her cronies) set Obama up. They knew that the "put lipstick on a pig" metaphor was part of Obama's repertoire. They modified it to her own "hockey moms=pit bulls with lipstick" so the next time Obama used his own phrase, she could misrepresent and attack him. If only Americans could see through this.

As to pigs, they are among the smartest animals known, whereas pit bulls are often in the news for mauling and killing children. Now where's the insult?

Physics news on Phys.org
McCain has used that phrase as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
Animal Farm, My Dear.

Math: In now hypocritical reference to Ms. Clinton, I am told.

Cy: All politicians are more equal than their electorate.

It appears that the McCain people age going to use the same disinformation and indoctrination tactics that convinced most Americans that we should attack Iraq.

As with Iraq they are using the news media to do the spinning for them.

I haven't heard much about it since but a local conservative talk show host was trying to pin Obama on another comment he made regarding "... my muslim faith...".

If you listen to the whole quote, by the way, its pretty obvious that it was not a slip they are just trying to make it look like one.

Loren Booda said:
Palin (and her cronies) set Obama up.
Palin has cronies?!? I'm impressed!
They modified it to her own "hockey moms=pit bulls with lipstick" so the next time Obama used his own phrase, she could misrepresent and attack him.
I think you give them too much credit. In any case, politicians are bickering about nothing that somehow snowballed into something. And the press is talking about it. That doesn't mean we have to dignify it here. People need to let these nothing little tiffs go and focus more on things that matter.

If you want contrived, the whole Palin thing is that.

They have been planting little things all along. From when they first announced her and had her sign autographs on the stage selling the idea she was a celebrity, to when they "claim" that the teleprompter went out at the convention, likely story I might add, to use it as counterpoint to this nonsense about Obama not being able to speak without a Teleprompter.

Apparently the hope is that they can distract with these silly details and image disinformation campaigns and not have to face up to the more serious facts about McCain having been in the pocket of banking interests that have directly contributed to the prime rate meltdown and the plunging in home prices that the markets have been struggling to unwind.

As much as McCain wants to paint himself as McChange, he is apparently intimately involved with the lobbyists mess, business as usual, that he claims he now wants to reform. Such a terrible hypocrite waging such a cynical campaign.

Huckabee showing some integrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXokM9TaxeA

Maybe not all the right wingers are cynical propagandists.

I agree with Huckabee and I agree with Russ.

If you watch the clip where Obama used the phrase, he doesn't react like he expected the reaction he got from the crowd. But, with the crowd clearly seeing some kind of link between Obama's comment and Palin's comment, there had to be some kind of response from Republicans.

I think the whole thing was worth about 5 minutes of attention.

LowlyPion said:

They have been planting little things all along. From when they first announced her and had her sign autographs on the stage selling the idea she was a celebrity...
Of course much of that was contrived for marketing purposes. That's what the conventions are.
Apparently the hope is that they can distract with these silly details...
Clearly, it's working on you!
the more serious facts about McCain having been in the pocket of banking interests that have directly contributed to the prime rate meltdown and the plunging in home prices that the markets have been struggling to unwind.
If you think there is a serious issue in there to discuss, then you should start a thread about that instead!

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
If you think there is a serious issue in there to discuss, then you should start a thread about that instead!

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will put together some issues in a thread, but I wouldn't do it instead of commenting here. I think I can probably handle posting about that elsewhere and still offer my voice about Palin's inexperience and hypocrisies here.

But thanks for the encouragement. A shy person like myself needs that kind of encouragement to come out of a shell and speak up more.

Can we talk about real issues now? People need to grow up.

LightbulbSun said:
Can we talk about real issues now? People need to grow up.

Sure. By all means let's talk about other issues. Except of course this thread is about the McCain Lipstick smear against Obama. And in this regard it is with great sadness that I must note that McCain is knee deep in making the claim. Where once I thought that it was issued by the Republican brown shirts that are running his media strategy, I see from this clip below that he actually believes that it is a fair complaint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCkgtisIz5A

About 2/3 of the way to the end he tries to say on the one hand his prior use of the phrase was OK, but Obama's comment about his economic policies was really aimed at Palin.

LowlyPion said:

They have been planting little things all along. From when they first announced her and had her sign autographs on the stage selling the idea she was a celebrity, to when they "claim" that the teleprompter went out at the convention, likely story I might add, to use it as counterpoint to this nonsense about Obama not being able to speak without a Teleprompter.

Apparently the hope is that they can distract with these silly details and image disinformation campaigns and not have to face up to the more serious facts about McCain having been in the pocket of banking interests that have directly contributed to the prime rate meltdown and the plunging in home prices that the markets have been struggling to unwind.

As much as McCain wants to paint himself as McChange, he is apparently intimately involved with the lobbyists mess, business as usual, that he claims he now wants to reform. Such a terrible hypocrite waging such a cynical campaign.

I knew it. I knew it. I knew it.

Now I heard it reported that Palin referred to the Republican Convention teleprompter malfunction in Ohio today, and there are reporters that were at the convention who could see the teleprompter and it did NOT malfunction. It was a FICTION fabricated to make Palin compare favorably against Obama, because they had some excerpts showing Obama answering questions at a town hall meeting where he stumbled over his phrasing.

Lipstick on a pitbull indeed. A lying pitbull it seems.

LowlyPion said:
I knew it. I knew it. I knew it.

Now I heard it reported that Palin referred to the Republican Convention teleprompter malfunction in Ohio today, and there are reporters that were at the convention who could see the teleprompter and it did NOT malfunction. It was a FICTION fabricated to make Palin compare favorably against Obama, because they had some excerpts showing Obama answering questions at a town hall meeting where he stumbled over his phrasing.

Lipstick on a pitbull indeed. A lying pitbull it seems.

Hey... the teleprompter did malfunction! They just quickly replaced it. ;-p

1. Did Palin and her cronies intentionally use the lipstick smear to set up Obama?

No, there is no evidence to suggest that Palin and her associates intentionally used the lipstick smear to set up Obama. The lipstick smear was a phrase used in a joking manner by Palin during a campaign speech, and it was not intended to be a political strategy.

2. Was the lipstick smear a deliberate attack on Obama's character?

No, the lipstick smear was not a deliberate attack on Obama's character. It was a phrase used in a joking manner and was not meant to be taken seriously or as an attack on anyone's character.

3. Is there any proof that Palin and her cronies planned to use the lipstick smear against Obama?

No, there is no proof that Palin and her associates planned to use the lipstick smear against Obama. The phrase was used in a spontaneous and off-the-cuff manner during a campaign speech and was not part of a premeditated plan.

4. Did the lipstick smear have any impact on the election?

No, the lipstick smear did not have any significant impact on the election. It was a minor and short-lived moment in the campaign that was overshadowed by more important issues and events.

5. Is the use of the lipstick smear considered unethical in politics?

The use of the lipstick smear can be seen as unethical if it is used as a deliberate attack on someone's character or to manipulate public opinion. However, in this case, it was a harmless and insignificant phrase that was not meant to cause harm or manipulate the public.

Back