Did Thomas Nast's cartoons cause the collapse of the Tweed Ring?

  • Thread starter Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Collapse Ring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
scott_alexsk
Messages
335
Reaction score
0
It is a controversial issue of whether or not Thomas Nast's cartoons lead to the collapse of the Tweed ring. Some view him as a rasist and that the Times and Samuel Tilden did more, but others feel that he was able to effectively shift the opinion of the general population. I would like to see if there are any of your opinions on this subject. Most likely you are not going to understand any of this unless you have read into New York's history in depth.
-Scott
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. I thought that would be the case. Has anyone read books set in the gilded age of America? The most recently written book on particularly Tweed was a book by Keneth Akerman, titled 'Boss Tweed.' Has anyone read it?
-Scott
 
I am slightly and vaguely familiar with the period froma having read excerpts of Mark Twain's The Gilded Age. I have seen pictures of some of Nast's cartoons, also. None of this is enough to offer an opinion on the degree of Nast's influence in shaping public opinion.
 
Yeah I have discovered that it is a pretty obscure topic. Though I would recommend reading Kenath Ackermans book. It just came out last year and provides a good description of the time period. Too bad all the current historians hate Thomas Nast:cry:. Except for two that I found. I am writing my thesis paper on him right now and I will post it when I am done. Hopefully it will shine some light on this area.
-Scott
 
Here is a better version (shorter and more gramically correct). Nast cartoons can be found at Harpweek. They show a couple good ones he did on Andrew Johnson.
Thanks,
-Scott
View attachment Thomas Nast Paper.doc
http://www.harpweek.com"
 
Last edited by a moderator: