Did You Catch These Amazing Stargazing Moments This Weekend?

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stargazing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
7,830
Reaction score
4,173
First decent weekend of the year- 4 clear nights in a row. Took these of the waxing moon:

DSC_4869-2_filtered_zps9nk4wlaa.jpg


DSC_5134-1_zpsr9y0uc0d.jpg


DSC_5934-1_zpsmeoppewa.jpg


The moon was really close to Jupiter on Sunday night:

4_17_2016_zps2wlkflin.jpg


4 consecutive nights to show the motion of Jupiter's inner moons:

Montage_zpsoa5yfeap.jpg


one night I could make out Jupiter's red spot, not bad for a 6" refractor:

4_13_16-1_zps6eo6x9t0.jpg


And a couple images of M51 and neighboring galaxies: 1 hour total integration time @ ISO 2500

58m_filtered-2_zpsbgbwkqwd.jpg


58m_filtered_1_zpshyvzezsq.jpg


Off to a good start!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt, 1oldman2, Fervent Freyja and 5 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, very nice pics. The M51 picture is awesome and reminds me why I really want to invest in a good scope that can track for long exposures.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick
nice work Andy, thanks for sharing :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick
Gorgeous! I can't wait to finish fixing up my first telescope and do the same! Beautiful pictures!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick
Borg said:
Yes, very nice pics. The M51 picture is awesome and reminds me why I really want to invest in a good scope that can track for long exposures.

I too want a scope that can track. But I'm stuck with this silly tracking mount instead! :-p