Did you know today is National Moon Day?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, July 20, 2018 is a special day as it marks the 49th anniversary of Apollo 11's historic moon landing. It is also National Lollipop Day and National Pennsylvania Day. Despite some personal disappointments in witnessing the event, the conversation reflects on the significance of this milestone in history.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
https://nationaldaycalendar.com/2018/07/19/july-20-2018-national-moon-day-national-lollipop-day-national-pennsylvania-day/
Enjoy!

Its also National Lollipop Day and National Pennsylvania Day.
So, triple enjoy!

Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not often that something happens that makes me feel old, but knowing Apollo 11 was 49 years ago did it. I stayed up what seemed really late to watch it with my mother and older brother. My father was one of the guys that did the electronics on the lunar module, so he was at work at the time.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
I was on vacation with my family and on the road when the Eagle landed on the Moon. I remember that it was hot and we had stopped to cool off in a lake. while walking back to the car, a guy on the beach who had been listening to the radio suddenly jumped up and yelled " They did it! they landed on the Moon. we were on our way to the Home of the friends of my folks, and Dad tried to drive as fast as he could to get there, but by the time we did, they had already finished their Moonwalk. I was heartbroken at having missed it. :frown:
My Mom tried to make it up to me by actually letting me stay home from school to watch the Apollo 12 landing. Unfortunately, during setup of the TV camera, they accidentally pointed it at the Sun and it stopped working, so once again, I didn't get to see a live Moon walk. :cry:

Likes BillTre

1. What is National Moon Day?

National Moon Day is an annual observance on July 20th that commemorates the day in 1969 when astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin landed on the moon as part of the Apollo 11 mission.

2. Why is National Moon Day celebrated on July 20th?

July 20th was chosen as National Moon Day because it marks the date of the historic Apollo 11 moon landing. On this day in 1969, the Lunar Module Eagle landed on the moon's surface, and Neil Armstrong became the first human to step foot on the moon.

3. How is National Moon Day celebrated?

National Moon Day is celebrated by hosting educational events and activities that promote the importance of space exploration and the moon landing. Some people also choose to stargaze or visit a planetarium on this day.

4. Is National Moon Day a recognized holiday?

No, National Moon Day is not a recognized holiday in the United States. However, it is still widely celebrated and observed by science enthusiasts and space lovers across the country.

5. What is the significance of National Moon Day?

National Moon Day serves as a reminder of the incredible achievement of landing on the moon and the technological advancements that made it possible. It also promotes space exploration and inspires future generations to continue pushing the boundaries of human knowledge and discovery.