Disney World PF gathering over Memorial Day week
- Thread starter ZapperZ
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,272 replies · 672K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 32,819
- 4,724
Disney has certainly corrupted my brain. This http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/3534960/Disney-accused-by-Catholic-cleric-of-corrupting-childrens-minds.html" ! :)
Case in point. I'm reading an innocent article on a work related to the http://www.aps.org/about/physics-images/network.cfm" . It had a nice graphic to illustrate the complex structure of an economic system. No Disney-related stuff, right?
In the eyes of most ordinary people, that would be true. But what did I do with my corrupted mind? I said to myself "Oh my! I think there are Hidden Mickeys in here!", and spent the next several minutes looking for them (I found at least 3).
:)
Zz.
Case in point. I'm reading an innocent article on a work related to the http://www.aps.org/about/physics-images/network.cfm" . It had a nice graphic to illustrate the complex structure of an economic system. No Disney-related stuff, right?
In the eyes of most ordinary people, that would be true. But what did I do with my corrupted mind? I said to myself "Oh my! I think there are Hidden Mickeys in here!", and spent the next several minutes looking for them (I found at least 3).
:)
Zz.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
ZapperZ said:Disney has certainly corrupted my brain. This http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/3534960/Disney-accused-by-Catholic-cleric-of-corrupting-childrens-minds.html" ! :)
Case in point. I'm reading an innocent article on a work related to the http://www.aps.org/about/physics-images/network.cfm" . It had a nice graphic to illustrate the complex structure of an economic system. No Disney-related stuff, right?
In the eyes of most ordinary people, that would be true. But what did I do with my corrupted mind? I said to myself "Oh my! I think there are Hidden Mickeys in here!", and spent the next several minutes looking for them (I found at least 3).
:)
Zz.
This is the time of year when I especially love Disney. Cartoons and Christmas just seem to go well together for me...both bring out my inner child.
I was poking around the Disney store, and found an absolutely adorable snow globe that's part of a bigger scene, but even the sale price is beyond my budget for Christmas decorations. The details are amazing. It seems they've found a way to incorporate almost every character into it...Chip and Dale are hanging out on one side, and even Cinderella's mice are on a ribbon on the other side of the tree. It's so adorable. Maybe there will be some left and at a better sale price after Christmas.
Last edited by a moderator:
- 32,819
- 4,724
Moonbear said:
This is the time of year when I especially love Disney. Cartoons and Christmas just seem to go well together for me...both bring out my inner child.I was poking around the Disney store, and found an absolutely adorable snow globe that's part of a bigger scene, but even the sale price is beyond my budget for Christmas decorations. The details are amazing. It seems they've found a way to incorporate almost every character into it...Chip and Dale are hanging out on one side, and even Cinderella's mice are on a ribbon on the other side of the tree. It's so adorable. Maybe there will be some left and at a better sale price after Christmas.
Hum... I have to go look at that. I haven't been to a Disney Store yet this holiday season. And we got mailings to notify us that Passholders can get 15% discount at the Disney Stores this season until Dec. 15. So our annual passes are actually useful even away from the parks.
So how much was the snow globe? :)
Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
Please help!
I participate in a photo contest in Disney fan forum, and this week, the theme is "Disney Mountains". I think I narrowed my photos to these two, but I cannot make up my mind which one to use. Each of the photo has its good points and bad points from my perspective. I can't make up my mind!
So, maybe you can vote on which one I should use. They are both on Expedition Everest attraction.
Zz.
I participate in a photo contest in Disney fan forum, and this week, the theme is "Disney Mountains". I think I narrowed my photos to these two, but I cannot make up my mind which one to use. Each of the photo has its good points and bad points from my perspective. I can't make up my mind!
So, maybe you can vote on which one I should use. They are both on Expedition Everest attraction.
Zz.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
ZapperZ said:Hum... I have to go look at that. I haven't been to a Disney Store yet this holiday season. And we got mailings to notify us that Passholders can get 15% discount at the Disney Stores this season until Dec. 15. So our annual passes are actually useful even away from the parks.
So how much was the snow globe? :)
Zz.
I know I'm being an enabler here, but...
Here's the link to it. http://disneyshopping.go.com/disney/store/Product_10002_10051_1238721_-1_14857__Snowglobes-Holiday-World-of-Disney-Snowglobe
$74 is a bit much for a snow globe though. Even at 15% off the sale price, it's a bit spendy. Though, from the photos, the detail seems amazing. If I hadn't already spent a small fortune on Inge-glas ornaments (my other Christmas guilty pleasure), I might have considered it.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
ZapperZ said:Please help!
I participate in a photo contest in Disney fan forum, and this week, the theme is "Disney Mountains". I think I narrowed my photos to these two, but I cannot make up my mind which one to use. Each of the photo has its good points and bad points from my perspective. I can't make up my mind!
So, maybe you can vote on which one I should use. They are both on Expedition Everest attraction.
![]()
![]()
Zz.
I like the top one better. There's more in the scene, including the reflection in the water.
I really need to find time to get to Disney again! The opportunity to buy a house is just too good right now, though, so I'm saving every penny for that. Once I've secured my downpayment and have time to save up some money again after that, I'll be able to consider Disney again.
- 32,819
- 4,724
Moonbear said:I know I'm being an enabler here, but...
Here's the link to it. http://disneyshopping.go.com/disney/store/Product_10002_10051_1238721_-1_14857__Snowglobes-Holiday-World-of-Disney-Snowglobe
$74 is a bit much for a snow globe though. Even at 15% off the sale price, it's a bit spendy. Though, from the photos, the detail seems amazing. If I hadn't already spent a small fortune on Inge-glas ornaments (my other Christmas guilty pleasure), I might have considered it.
Oh, I have seen that one. Didn't know that this was the same one they had at the Disney Stores. I was THIS close from getting that. Not sure what stopped me... OH WAIT, I remember now - NO MORE ROOM FOR STORAGE!
:)
Zz.
Last edited by a moderator:
~christina~
Gold Member
- 714
- 0
I think the first picture is the best as well. I just think that you needed to put the camera on something stable so it doesn't have camera shake blur, but it's composition is nicer than the close up of the mountain.
- 32,819
- 4,724
~christina~ said:I think the first picture is the best as well. I just think that you needed to put the camera on something stable so it doesn't have camera shake blur, but it's composition is nicer than the close up of the mountain.
Er... the camera was on a tripod (with a 2 second delay) when both picture was taken.
It looks like the first picture seems to have a unanimous consensus. So baring last minute problems, I'll use it. The only thing that can make me change my mind is that, so far, most of the entries for the contest are pictures of the Expedition Everest attraction, with a few sprinkling of Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction. It will be hard to stand out when too many people enter the same type of picture.
I need to be different! :)
Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
Hey Moonbie, remember this?
rAleGzqdku4[/youtube] I'll be there in a week! :) Zz.
rAleGzqdku4[/youtube] I'll be there in a week! :) Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
Today is Walt Disney's birthday.
But what is more fascinating is the further evidence that Disney and Physics DO mix well! :)
It appears that Walt Disney and Werner Heisenberg http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/12/dayintech_1205" . They have many similarities in their lives, two of which are that they were both born on the same day, and they won a major award in the same year!
Add to the fact that Enrico Fermi used to https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1084492&postcount=2492", why I'm surprised that a course in Disney history is not a requirement for all physics majors!
:)
Zz.
But what is more fascinating is the further evidence that Disney and Physics DO mix well! :)
It appears that Walt Disney and Werner Heisenberg http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/12/dayintech_1205" . They have many similarities in their lives, two of which are that they were both born on the same day, and they won a major award in the same year!
Add to the fact that Enrico Fermi used to https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1084492&postcount=2492", why I'm surprised that a course in Disney history is not a requirement for all physics majors!
:)
Zz.
Last edited by a moderator:
~christina~
Gold Member
- 714
- 0
ZapperZ said:Er... the camera was on a tripod (with a 2 second delay) when both picture was taken.
Zz.

- 32,819
- 4,724
Greetings from the Most Magical Place on Earth!
Epcot is decorated to the hilt for the holiday festivities.
Zz.
Epcot is decorated to the hilt for the holiday festivities.
Zz.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
The blues and greens are very vibrant. Usuaullly the blue lights you see on homes are so dull.
The fireworks remind me of a lightning storm.
The fireworks remind me of a lightning storm.
- 32,819
- 4,724
Pictures from Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party last night. It was a spectacular event!
Zz.
Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
As Moonbear can testify, we missed seeing the gingerbread house by one day at the Grand Floridian last time we were here at this time of the year. But not this year!
This is the infamous, and huge, gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian.
It is even more impressive to see in person. It is so big, they have a shop in there that sells gingerbread cookies, and stuff!
Zz.
This is the infamous, and huge, gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian.
It is even more impressive to see in person. It is so big, they have a shop in there that sells gingerbread cookies, and stuff!
Zz.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,621
- 9
Wow!
I know where I'm going for Christmas next year...
Any new pins to share with us Zz?
I know where I'm going for Christmas next year...
Any new pins to share with us Zz?
~christina~
Gold Member
- 714
- 0
*claps* I LOVE those pictures! Especially Cinderella's castle and the lake. (faint)
Awesome job taking those photos Zz!
Awesome job taking those photos Zz!
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Beautiful pics Zz!
- 32,819
- 4,724
Pictures from the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights from last night. I have plenty of video footage on this, which I will upload after I get back home (then you will see what is meant by the "dancing" part). Till then, here are some stills:
Zz.
Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
Seasons Greetings, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, and a Wonderful and Magical New Year!
Zz.
Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
This is the video of one of the "dancing lights" that I took this past December of the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World. Of course, no picture of video can do it justice. It is more jaw-dropping to see it in person.
Vsi_6fGX1EU[/youtube] Zz.
Vsi_6fGX1EU[/youtube] Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
News Math and Disney make entertainment
Who says Math and Disney (and also physics) do not mix?
http://media.www.thejackonline.org/media/storage/paper1142/news/2009/02/11/News/Math-And.Disney.Make.Entertainment-3620209.shtml
Zz.
Who says Math and Disney (and also physics) do not mix?
http://media.www.thejackonline.org/media/storage/paper1142/news/2009/02/11/News/Math-And.Disney.Make.Entertainment-3620209.shtml
An Academy Award winner, DeRose discussed what earned him the award for his implementation of subdivision surfaces. Subdivision software is what makes the computer graphics in films like "Toy Story 2" and "Finding Nemo" so smooth, instead of the blocky models used in earlier films like the first "Toy Story."
During a lecture on wavelets and its applications to imaging, DeRose explained how wavelets enable the user to compress information by cutting out unnecessary details. In effect, less memory is used and not much detail is sacrificed for the sake of space. The ability to use wavelets to compress images without losing much detail in the process, can be applied to nearly all forms of communication, shortening the time to send large files.
Zz.
Last edited by a moderator:
- 32,819
- 4,724
Instruction video on how to make the peanut butter and jelly milk shake that is served at the 50s Prime Time Cafe at Disney's Hollywood Studios
j_j7Ea5vE6E[/youtube] Zz.
j_j7Ea5vE6E[/youtube] Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
A rat in a restaurant? Why not if it is a french restaurant!
Remy makes his appearance at Chefs de France at Epcot's World Showcase.
3np-ToDshtw[/youtube] Zz.
Remy makes his appearance at Chefs de France at Epcot's World Showcase.
3np-ToDshtw[/youtube] Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
Review of http://www.stitchkingdom.com/exclusive/earth/" , which will open this Wednesday, April 22.
Note that Disney will plant a tree for every person who sees the movie during its opening week. If you buy advance ticket to it via Fandango, you'll receive a http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/04/08/buy-tickets-online-to-disneynatures-earth-and-get-a-free-re-useable-disney-shopping-bag/" from a Disney Store.
More about http://disney.go.com/disneynature/earth/".
Zz.
Note that Disney will plant a tree for every person who sees the movie during its opening week. If you buy advance ticket to it via Fandango, you'll receive a http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/04/08/buy-tickets-online-to-disneynatures-earth-and-get-a-free-re-useable-disney-shopping-bag/" from a Disney Store.
More about http://disney.go.com/disneynature/earth/".
Zz.
Last edited by a moderator:
- 32,819
- 4,724
Famed astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson blamed it "...on the dog..." for the public's strong reaction when Pluto was demoted from being a planet.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=216998&title=neil-degrasse-tyson
:)
Zz.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=216998&title=neil-degrasse-tyson
:)
Zz.
- 32,819
- 4,724
Some time, on a small number of occasions, the stars align, and both of my passion, physics and Disney, come together.
This is what happened in this article on the http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10249396-52.html" various parts of the upcoming Disney/Pixar movie "Up".
Up opens this Friday in the US. It already has received such glowing reviews ever since it had its world premier at Cannes last week, becoming the first animation and first 3D movie to be given the prestigious position to open the festival.
Zz.
This is what happened in this article on the http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10249396-52.html" various parts of the upcoming Disney/Pixar movie "Up".
May said that the animation department at Pixar never even considered hand-animating the balloons. But even standard computer animation wouldn't be up to the task, because of the N-squared complexity involved in the thousands of interdependent balloons. Instead, the studio's computer whizzes figured out a way to turn the problem over to a programmed physical simulator, which, employing Newtonian physics, was able to address the animation problem.
Up opens this Friday in the US. It already has received such glowing reviews ever since it had its world premier at Cannes last week, becoming the first animation and first 3D movie to be given the prestigious position to open the festival.
Zz.
Last edited by a moderator: