Disqualified in the photo contest

In summary, someone else took the photo you wanted to enter in the You're So Cold contest, you've already submitted one but have others that fit the theme you want to share, or you've previously touched up the photos with some editing software.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I keep finding I want to share other photos that keep within the themes of the photo contest threads, but would be disqualified, either because someone else took them, or I already submitted one but have others that fit the theme I want to share, or I've previously touched up the photos with some editing software, etc. So, I thought I'd create a thread for sharing those.

A few rules (for those participating in the photo contest thread, some of these will look familiar):

- Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then to post it here link your picture using the img command. (Do not attach the image to the post...link to it on a server intended for the purpose of sharing photos.)

- Limit the size of your photos to a width no greater than 650 pixels (this will avoid annoyingly stretching this page).

- Use only photos you personally own, not ones you've downloaded off the web or that have any copyright restrictions on them. For this thread, it's okay if your parents or significant other or friend, etc., took the photo, as long as they have given you permission to use it.

To keep this thread from getting too huge too quickly, let's keep the photos within the themes of the contest threads (past themes are okay). So, if you have something that fits those themes, and you're dying to share it, but would be disqualified for entering it in the contest, let's see it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, to start off, here's the other photo I wanted to enter in the You're So Cold contest (I couldn't decide between two). Don't tell me if you like this one better than the one I entered, or I'll have to kick myself for choosing the wrong one. :biggrin:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2965/sheepinfallingsnowcw9.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that this one is better, but there's no llama :(

Sheep in snow!

I can't find the camera I took all those pictures from our freak ice storm. It' probably got thrown away :cry:

yomamma said:
I would say that this one is better, but there's no llama :(
I told you not to say that! :grumpy: *sets fire to yomamma's remaining GOOBF cards*

This one's not good enough to win,. so I'll put it here.

View from my front door.

horsesnowjt4.jpg

Ooh, how nice to have horses right across the street to watch!

I missed the deadline for the "What's New Pussycat?" contest, so here's one of my cats (actually I guess it is technically my wife's cat -- the cat loves her, but never wants anything to do with me):

Mr. Whitten
http://www.mcschell.com/kitty.jpg [Broken]

-GeoMike-

Moonbear said:
I told you not to say that! :grumpy: *sets fire to yomamma's remaining GOOBF cards*
I said that the one you chose was good because it had a llama in it:confused:

GeoMike said:
I missed the deadline for the "What's New Pussycat?" contest, so here's one of my cats (actually I guess it is technically my wife's cat -- the cat loves her, but never wants anything to do with me):
I can't see it. :frown: The link seems to be broken. Can anyone else see it?

No, can't see it.

Naturally I don't remember these pics until after I submitted the crappy pic for the contest!

A is for Alumni Walk
AlumniWalkbySUB.jpg

A is for Arts Building
Arts.jpg

I always forget that you have to take the picture. One of my friend's mom gave this one to me.

A is for Athleticism
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1663/1000543ua7.jpg [Broken]

(I'm the pitcher)
Paden Roder

Actually, after looking at it, I could have also submitted this to this week's Cold theme. That umpire looks like an ice cube! (or an assassin :uhh: )...

Moonbear said:
I can't see it. :frown: The link seems to be broken. Can anyone else see it?

My mistake, I had the link entered wrong. Fixed now.

-GeoMike-

A is for Assassin at Athletic Event...
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8098/assassinga9.jpg [Broken]
:eek:

Paden Roder

GeoMike said:
My mistake, I had the link entered wrong. Fixed now.

-GeoMike-
Oh, it's a shame you missed the deadline! I'd have voted for that one. What a fantastic photo and such big, sweet looking eyes on that cat.

Scorpa, I really like that Alumni Walk photo...it looks like a very quiet, relaxing place to sit on the wall and read or study.

And...:rofl: at the Assassin at the Athletic event!

that would have got my vote for the sheer LOL quality of it

Y'know, sooner or later, I'll run out of topics/themes, and I'll start recycling the old themes, which means that you might still be able to use the pictures that you couldn't in the earlier contests.

So do you really want to reveal your pictures now and lessen the impact?

:)

Zz.

Here's my new cat, a British Shorthair. He's name is Dante

marlon

Attachments

• DANTE.JPEG
    DANTE.JPEG
    35.4 KB · Views: 504
Marlon, that kitty is adorable so I hope you'll take the time to follow this rule so you can share it with others:
- Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then to post it here link your picture using the img command. (Do not attach the image to the post...link to it on a server intended for the purpose of sharing photos.)

The member photo thread alreay puts quite a burden on the site, so I don't want to add to it with a big thread of fun photos when there are sites available that permit free sharing of photos with hotlinks in forums.

As for you, Zz, I'll take my chances. :tongue: Others can decide for themselves if they might want to use the photo in another contest, but since the topic here is "disqualified," not all of these would be suitable for future contests either. Besides, if you do S is for September, I can always get more sheep pictures. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Besides, if you do S is for September, I can always get more sheep pictures. :biggrin:

Humm.. I forgot about the fact that you have an almost endless supply of sheep!

Zz.

i know someone that hates sheep, but loves frogs, shese caled emily, and is the kween of the frogs. it seams like a war will take place, HEHEHE

Moonbear said:
Marlon, that kitty is adorable so I hope you'll take the time to follow this rule so you can share it with others:

Ohh, did not know about this... Ok, i know what to do...thanks

marlon

For You're so Cold, You're so Cold...disqualified.

Here's a picture of my wife's childhood home - a farm just about a mile from where we live now. As you can see, global warming hadn't caught on yet in the mid-60's, and Maine used to get some really brutal weather. I remember this particular storm vividly because our house looked even worse than this one. I had to creep around on snowshoes and find and shovel out all the first-floor windows, most of which were entirely buried. I wish I had owned a camera back then, so I could have taken a picture of our house. We lived at the end of a 15-mile-long lake and the wind was relentless. The back side of the house was practically buried in a hard drift, and I had to clear much of that drift with a coal shovel, because that's where the clothesline was (no dryer). Many roads could not be kept passable, and it required bulldozers to clear them. The local trappers and game wardens were about the only ones with snowmobiles back then, and they had to take kersosene (for lamps) and food to families that were stranded on blocked roads with no power.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6382/farmxh8.jpg [Broken]

PRodQuanta said:

Paden Roder
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"Fire in the Sky"

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fire2.jpg [Broken]

GeoMike said:

Mr. Whitten
http://www.mcschell.com/kitty.jpg [Broken]

-GeoMike-
Awwwwww :cry: :cry: It looks just like "Tig Tig" the cat I had when I was younger. :cry:

Beautiful cat!

I really need to buy a camera. I've been looking for a cheap digital one. I want to post a picture of my home-made air conditioner!:smile:

p.s. I like GeoMike's "creamsicle" tabby!

"Wish upon a star"

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lem_rover.jpg [Broken]

Picture taken after I already made an entry (picture also taken by my wife). I took another of just the LEM that I might of entered.

OR
http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/titan.jpg [Broken]

That's a Titan II rocket snuggled up to the Spruce Goose.

turbo-1 said:
Here's a picture of my wife's childhood home - a farm just about a mile from where we live now. As you can see, global warming hadn't caught on yet in the mid-60's, and Maine used to get some really brutal weather.

Wow, that is deep. Where in Maine are you? I live in Saco.

-GeoMike-

GeoMike said:
Wow, that is deep. Where in Maine are you? I live in Saco.

-GeoMike-
In Solon, about in the north-middle of the state.

Edit: and my parents' home was farther north in Moscow, just south of Wyman Lake.

Last edited:
PRodQuanta said:
:rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

Nice one man.

Good choice, Zoob.

I was going to use this for the close up but due to the prevalence of arachnophobia I decided against it.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Elarkspur2020/greenarachnidbeekiller.jpg [Broken]

<h2>1. Why was my photo disqualified in the contest?</h2><p>There are a few reasons why a photo may be disqualified in a contest. It could be due to not meeting the contest criteria, such as size or subject matter. It could also be because the photo was submitted after the deadline or was previously published elsewhere. Another possible reason is if the photo was edited or altered in a way that violates the rules of the contest.</p><h2>2. Can I appeal the disqualification of my photo?</h2><p>Yes, most contests have an appeal process in place for disqualified photos. You can usually contact the contest organizers and provide any necessary evidence or explanations to support your appeal. However, keep in mind that the decision of the contest organizers is final and there is no guarantee that your photo will be reinstated.</p><h2>3. Will I receive any feedback on why my photo was disqualified?</h2><p>It depends on the specific contest and its rules. Some contests may provide feedback on disqualified photos, while others may not. If you are curious about why your photo was disqualified, you can always reach out to the contest organizers and ask for feedback.</p><h2>4. Can I resubmit my disqualified photo in a future contest?</h2><p>Again, this will depend on the rules of the contest. Some contests may allow you to resubmit a disqualified photo in a future contest, while others may have a rule against resubmitting previously entered photos. It is always best to carefully read the rules and guidelines of each contest before submitting.</p><h2>5. Will my entry fee be refunded if my photo is disqualified?</h2><p>Unfortunately, most contests do not offer refunds for disqualified photos. The entry fee is usually non-refundable, regardless of whether your photo is accepted or disqualified. However, some contests may have a refund policy in place, so it is worth checking the rules or contacting the organizers for more information.</p>

1. Why was my photo disqualified in the contest?

There are a few reasons why a photo may be disqualified in a contest. It could be due to not meeting the contest criteria, such as size or subject matter. It could also be because the photo was submitted after the deadline or was previously published elsewhere. Another possible reason is if the photo was edited or altered in a way that violates the rules of the contest.

2. Can I appeal the disqualification of my photo?

Yes, most contests have an appeal process in place for disqualified photos. You can usually contact the contest organizers and provide any necessary evidence or explanations to support your appeal. However, keep in mind that the decision of the contest organizers is final and there is no guarantee that your photo will be reinstated.

3. Will I receive any feedback on why my photo was disqualified?

It depends on the specific contest and its rules. Some contests may provide feedback on disqualified photos, while others may not. If you are curious about why your photo was disqualified, you can always reach out to the contest organizers and ask for feedback.

4. Can I resubmit my disqualified photo in a future contest?

Again, this will depend on the rules of the contest. Some contests may allow you to resubmit a disqualified photo in a future contest, while others may have a rule against resubmitting previously entered photos. It is always best to carefully read the rules and guidelines of each contest before submitting.

5. Will my entry fee be refunded if my photo is disqualified?

Unfortunately, most contests do not offer refunds for disqualified photos. The entry fee is usually non-refundable, regardless of whether your photo is accepted or disqualified. However, some contests may have a refund policy in place, so it is worth checking the rules or contacting the organizers for more information.