Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Ditching from a 5 yr BS/MS program to go to a PHD program?

1. Sep 24, 2010 #1
    I'm in my 3rd yr at a top school. I'm deciding on whether to apply for the 5 yr BS/MS program.

On one hand, it's a simple internal application and i'd be almost guaranteed into a very reputable masters program.

On the other hand, i still plan to apply to other PHD programs in my 4th yr. If I get good PHD offers, I'll basically ditch the MS part (the 5th yr) and graduate with just the BS. Is it ok to say this on my PHD apps, or is it looked down upon somehow?

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2010 #2
    I mean I'd say "I'm technically in a BS/MS program but I don't plan on finishing the MS part if I get admitted to your PHD program"

4. Sep 24, 2010 #3
    I would be really careful to make sure you satisfy all the requirements for your BS, and check to make sure that switching out of the 5yr BS/MS program will not somehow effect you.

I would think that jumping out of a program like that would be frowned upon. What is to say that you don't hop out of their PhD program for something else?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook