DNA gel standard curve not straight on semi-log paper

  • Thread starter Thread starter biochemist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Analysis Dna
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
biochemist
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone, I ran a gel for restriction digestion and used lamda HindIII as the marker. When I'm drawing the graph on a semi-log paper, size on y-axis and distance from the well on the x axis, the standard curve isn't a straight line, but a linear curve. Is it fine?

Another question: the smallest digit given on a semi-log graph paper for DNA size is 1, but I've got a 0.5 band and couldn't point it out on the graph. What shall I do? Shall I just ignore this?

Very much appreciated if you could help me solve my problems
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm really confused, cos I've learned that the distance from the well measured should be proportional to the log10 value of the DNA size. And by theory I should have got a straight line or nearly straight, but the curve I've got doesn't seem to be straight at all!