Do conflicting political views make a relationship impossible?

• Thread starter brainstorm
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is it possible to have a good relationship when the two people don't basically agree on politics? Granted, some people can agree that it's good to differ but what if they differ in the most fundamental beliefs about politics? E.g. what if one person really likes a certain politician, party, or ideology while the other one thinks that politician is a crook and/or a murderous dictator, an ideology is a scam, a party is evil, insane, etc.?

If people cannot accept political differences in a relationship, does that put political pressure on one of the two to relinquish the views that so deeply offend the other? Is a relationship worth compromising your truest beliefs about what is right, or should you end a relationship rather than appease the other person by admitting they are right when you don't really think they are?

Answers and Replies

radou
Homework Helper
It can be interesting, since you can always debate on your different views. But in general, **** politics - it can't stand between a healthy relationship.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It kind of depends.

On the surface, it's like asking if it's possible to have a good relationship when one person likes romance movies while the other likes action movies. People can have different tastes, but still get along just fine.

On the other hand, it's very important for some people to belong to a group and being committed to a certain political party helps fulfill that need. It becomes almost like being totally committed to different religions. Someone that into their political party would definitely have a problem accepting a person with different political beliefs - it's a confront to their very identity.

Personally, I don't think I could have a relationship with a person totally committed to their political party, regardless of which party it is. People tend to do weird things and accept all kinds of absurdities, and some times even atrocities, when they're that committed to a political party.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
haven't you ever heard it said not to talk about politics in a social situation?

It depends on how seriously either partner thinks their views are the only possible logical conclusion.
If either or both are unmoving and hence have less faith in their partner's critical thinking/generally intelligence I can see it being an issue.

But I've never personally met anyone that unmoving in their beliefs.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It depends on how seriously either partner thinks their views are the only possible logical conclusion.
If either or both are unmoving and hence have less faith in their partner's critical thinking/generally intelligence I can see it being an issue.

Oh go hang out in the Political & World Affairs Forum, you'll meet some there :wink:.

Evo
Mentor

You haven't looked in our Politics and World Affairs forum.

I've witnessed differences in politics kill many budding relationships.

Oh go hang out in the Political & World Affairs Forum, you'll meet some there :wink:.
You haven't looked in our Politics and World Affairs forum.

I've witnessed differences in politics kill many budding relationships.
:rofl:

Pengwuino
Gold Member
I would find it strange that two people can have compatible personalities and be able to maintain a relationship yet be devoted to or have intense hatred for opposing political parties or ideologies. I mean, people who are intensely left-wing or right-wing or top-wing or bbq-wing, they typically think people at the other end of the spectrum are evil doers that want to destroy the world. I can't imagine it would work. However, if its just two normal people who just vote differently, then who cares. People that serious about politics are mentally.... hilarious.