1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I have a chance with low physics gre ?

Tags:
  1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    hi, i have been applying to ms in physics at umass dartmouth for fall-15, I have 85% cgpa in undergrad and I have my paper and thesis, but my first physics gre is out today and I got only 580(25%)! I cant believe I scored this bad.
    my toefl and genera gre are to be held soon. I hope optimum score there, in my last mock gre with the powerprep sofware I got 303! so bad.
    seems I m really bad at tests. do I have a chance to get admitted this year or I wait for better scores to get on second attempt?
    I m indian female..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2
    Hi, I am going for the same institute as you mentioned. I don;t know my scores yet but I wish you get into the program with your good background. let me know if you have any contact with the faculty members.

4. Nov 24, 2014 #3
    I know my institution rejects students with scores in that ballpark and it's ranking is similar to umass, so you might have a problem.

Engineering grad schools have no gre requirements and better job prospects, why not apply there?

5. Nov 24, 2014 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nobody can tell if you can get in or not, even if we had your application in front of us, and we don't. However, you seem to think that the General GRE and the TOEFL will compensate for a low Physics GRE, and that's not the case - especially for the TOEFL.

6. Nov 25, 2014 #5
    well I know my scores are not helping me anyway, and I have not finished my graduation yet, so I want easily wait one more year to retake. But its a masters program, so do you think my chances are really null?

7. Nov 25, 2014 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nobody can tell if you can get in or not, even if we had your application in front of us, and we don't.

8. Nov 25, 2014 #7
    If you have the money to afford master's, check out Brown and Rutgers too. I am sure there are other programs,too. In fact, you should look into other programs as well!

Brown does not require you submitting physics gres...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook