Do I have a chance with low physics gre ?

In summary: Rutgers does. I'm not sure if you're aware, but your chances of getting into a program like Brown or Rutgers are much better if you have a good physics GRE. If you can get a good GRE, then you're definitely a contender for any program!
tfhub
hi, i have been applying to ms in physics at umass dartmouth for fall-15, I have 85% cgpa in undergrad and I have my paper and thesis, but my first physics gre is out today and I got only 580(25%)! I can't believe I scored this bad.
my toefl and genera gre are to be held soon. I hope optimum score there, in my last mock gre with the powerprep sofware I got 303! so bad.
seems I m really bad at tests. do I have a chance to get admitted this year or I wait for better scores to get on second attempt?
I m indian female..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I am going for the same institute as you mentioned. I don;t know my scores yet but I wish you get into the program with your good background. let me know if you have any contact with the faculty members.

I know my institution rejects students with scores in that ballpark and it's ranking is similar to umass, so you might have a problem.

Engineering grad schools have no gre requirements and better job prospects, why not apply there?

Nobody can tell if you can get in or not, even if we had your application in front of us, and we don't. However, you seem to think that the General GRE and the TOEFL will compensate for a low Physics GRE, and that's not the case - especially for the TOEFL.

well I know my scores are not helping me anyway, and I have not finished my graduation yet, so I want easily wait one more year to retake. But its a masters program, so do you think my chances are really null?

Nobody can tell if you can get in or not, even if we had your application in front of us, and we don't.

If you have the money to afford master's, check out Brown and Rutgers too. I am sure there are other programs,too. In fact, you should look into other programs as well!

Brown does not require you submitting physics gres...

What is the average score on the physics GRE?

The average score on the physics GRE is around 600. However, this can vary depending on the institution and program you are applying to.

How important is the physics GRE score in the admissions process?

The importance of the physics GRE score varies among different universities and programs. Some may place a higher emphasis on it while others may consider other factors, such as research experience and letters of recommendation, to be more important.

Can a low physics GRE score be offset by other application materials?

Yes, a low physics GRE score can be offset by strong letters of recommendation, research experience, and a strong statement of purpose. These materials can demonstrate your potential and passion for the field, which can outweigh a lower GRE score.

What is considered a "low" physics GRE score?

There is no specific definition of what is considered a "low" physics GRE score. It ultimately depends on the institution and program you are applying to, as well as the average scores of accepted students in previous years. It is important to research the average scores of your desired program to determine what is considered competitive.

Is it possible to retake the physics GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, it is possible to retake the physics GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, some universities may only consider your highest score, while others may take an average of all your scores. It is important to research the policies of your desired program before deciding to retake the exam.