1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I need these classes from a community college?

1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    Do I need these classes from a community college??

I'm currently attending a community college and going to transfer to a university.
    I am having an endless debate on rather I want to go EE, ME or Engineer Physics. I need to decide soon so I'm not wasting time at school...

Anyway, the community college wants me to take two classes I'm not sure are relevant for the university major in EE or ME - Engineering Design (CAD class), a general 1 hour class Intro to engineering, C, C++, and Linux...

I've been told these are certificate classes and I shouldn't be taking them. Any opinions out there?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2011 #2
    Re: Do I need these classes from a community college??

The best thing would be to contact an advisor from the school(s) that you plan on transferring to and ask them which classes would be transferrable.
    Sometimes, local universities may even have a transfer guide on their websites that tells you exactly which classes from local community colleges will transfer and what their equivalent classes are.
    Just off the top of my head, however, the computer languages are important to learn and may be transferrable. The others, however, do not appear to be anything that would transfer.

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3

I'm in a similar situation ( but you will definately have to talk with an advisor who know wht will transfer).

What I have found is at my CC, the Intro ENG(1hr becomes 1hr elective) which is required before Eng CAD1(3hr becomes 3hr elective), then Cad2(3hr becomes 2hr required coures with 1hr as elective).
    http://catalog.volstate.acalog.com/preview_program.php?catoid=11&poid=495&returnto=247 [Broken]
    http://www.tntech.edu/transfers/volunteerst2010/ [Broken]

In essence I have to do 7hrs at CC to transfer to 2hr at Uni, with the other 5hrs becoming electives.

Yours maybe similar.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Jun 29, 2011 #4

Your community college may have existing transfer agreements with local 4 year schools. If so you should read the specifics of those agreements. This site seems to be a good resource for this:
    http://www.collegetransfer.net/Search/SearchforTransferAgreements/tabid/141/default.aspx" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Jun 29, 2011 #5

If they are technical/certificate classes - then it's highly unlikely that they will transfer. If you are finding yourself lacking classes to take a particular term - they might be very good enrichment as some of the CAD and programming skills may help in an internship, so it definately would not be a 'total waste'.

But ultimately, talk to an advisor at your CC and at your target Uni.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook