1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From community college to engineering

1. Jul 2, 2014 #1
    For a variety of reasons - mostly due to health - I was forced to start college later than most but have always known that I would eventually pursue either physics or engineering. I'm near completing my Associates in Applied Science at the local community college and have decided to move forward with pursuing a BSE in Material Science and Engineering but thus far the advisors have been far from helpful with the questions I have.

My main concern is whether or not community college transfer students are often admitted into university level engineering schools. I have a 4.2 GPA and all my classes are transferable and tailored as closely to lower-division engineering programs as possible but transfer agreements specifically for engineering aren't offered at my school.

Have there been many success stories with engineering students (specifically material engineers, if possible) transferring form community colleges or is there too much discrepancy in coursework?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2014 #2

psparky

Gold Member

In general, yes you will be admitted to engineering level schools.

Yes, you will be more than capable with a 4.2 average from community school.

Some of your classes will transfer, some will not. Either way, you are still gonna learn it all top to bottom.

No worries in my opinion. What you learn at the university will be much more important and useful than whay you learned in community college after the fact....you will see.

I'm sure you community coursework will set a nice foundation for you as well. All good.

Since you already pulled the nice grades.....all you need is green money. Universities like money. You're in.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook