From community college to engineering

In summary, the individual has faced challenges in starting college later than most due to health reasons but has always known their passion for physics and engineering. They are currently completing their Associates in Applied Science and plan to pursue a BSE in Material Science and Engineering. However, they have concerns about being admitted to university-level engineering schools as a transfer student from a community college. Despite not having specific transfer agreements for engineering, their 4.2 GPA and tailored coursework make them more than capable. The individual is reassured that what they learn at the university will be more important and useful, and their community college coursework will provide a good foundation. Ultimately, the individual believes that their good grades and ability to pay tuition will make them a desirable candidate for admission
stillshotprod
For a variety of reasons - mostly due to health - I was forced to start college later than most but have always known that I would eventually pursue either physics or engineering. I'm near completing my Associates in Applied Science at the local community college and have decided to move forward with pursuing a BSE in Material Science and Engineering but thus far the advisors have been far from helpful with the questions I have.

My main concern is whether or not community college transfer students are often admitted into university level engineering schools. I have a 4.2 GPA and all my classes are transferable and tailored as closely to lower-division engineering programs as possible but transfer agreements specifically for engineering aren't offered at my school.

Have there been many success stories with engineering students (specifically material engineers, if possible) transferring form community colleges or is there too much discrepancy in coursework?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, yes you will be admitted to engineering level schools.

Yes, you will be more than capable with a 4.2 average from community school.

Some of your classes will transfer, some will not. Either way, you are still going to learn it all top to bottom.

No worries in my opinion. What you learn at the university will be much more important and useful than whay you learned in community college after the fact...you will see.

I'm sure you community coursework will set a nice foundation for you as well. All good.

Since you already pulled the nice grades...all you need is green money. Universities like money. You're in.

Last edited:

1. What types of engineering programs are available at community colleges?

Community colleges offer a variety of engineering programs, including but not limited to: civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, and chemical engineering. It is important to research the specific community college to see which engineering programs they offer.

2. Can I transfer from a community college to a four-year university for engineering?

Yes, many community colleges have transfer agreements with four-year universities, allowing students to seamlessly transfer into their engineering programs. It is important to work closely with academic advisors at both institutions to ensure all transfer requirements are met.

3. What courses should I take at a community college to prepare for an engineering program?

It is recommended to take courses in mathematics, physics, and chemistry at a community college to prepare for an engineering program. These courses are typically required in most engineering programs and will help build a strong foundation for more advanced coursework.

4. Are community college engineering programs accredited?

Yes, most community college engineering programs are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). It is important to check the accreditation status of the program you are interested in to ensure it meets the necessary standards.

5. Can I get a job as an engineer with a degree from a community college?

Yes, many community college engineering graduates go on to have successful careers as engineers. However, some employers may prefer candidates with a four-year degree from a university. It is important to research the job market and specific job requirements for your desired field of engineering.