Do stars have any lower mass limit?

In summary, an article discusses the discovery of the smallest star in the Milky Way galaxy, EBLM J0555-57Ab, which has a mass of 85 times that of Jupiter. This star is located about 600 light-years from Earth and was initially classified as an exoplanet due to its small size. However, it was later confirmed to be a star and is considered to be close to the theoretical lower limit for main sequence stars.
Sid
Just read an article about a discovery of the smallest/least massive star in the Milky Way galaxy. The star has 85 times the mass of Jupiter and is known as EBLM J0555-57Ab located about 600 light-years from Earth.

The entire article here - http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/smallest-star-discovered-1.4199325

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi th
Sid said:
Just read an article about a discovery of the smallest/least massive star in the Milky Way galaxy. The star has 85 times the mass of Jupiter and is known as EBLM J0555-57Ab located about 600 light-years from Earth.

The entire article here - http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/smallest-star-discovered-1.4199325
Hi there welcome :smile:

I am surprised that that star could be so small and star nuclear fusion ... pretty amazing

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
In answer to the title question, that star is just about as small as the mass can get and still have fusion. They didn't say what type of fusion though, but I presume it's hydrogen fusion because I think if it's only deuterium they call it a brown dwarf.

Likes |Glitch|
The theoretical limit to a main sequence star's mass is about 80 times the mass of Jupiter, or 0.08 the mass of the sun. Otherwise degeneracy pressure prevents pp fusion from occurring. This is described in most any introductory astronomy textbook.

Last edited:
Sid said:

What is particularly interesting about this star is that it was discovered in transit, and because it was only the size of Saturn they incorrectly classified it as an exoplanet. They also recently estimated the minimum mass for a star at 6.7% of Sol, or 70.2 solar masses assuming the same solar metallicity. However, the 6.7% of Sol is theoretical, whereas EBLM J0555-57Ab is observational.

Source:
Individual Dynamical Masses of Ultracool Dwarfs - arXiv free preprint, March 2017

DrSteve said:
The theoretical limit to a main sequence star's mass is about 13 times the mass of Jupiter, or 0.08 the mass of the sun. Otherwise degeneracy pressure prevents pp fusion from occurring. This is described in most any introductory astronomy textbook.
Those numbers seem inconsistent with each other, perhaps it's a typo. I'm more familiar with the numbers found in the Wiki on Main Sequence stars: "The lower limit for sustained proton–proton nuclear fusion is about 0.08 M☉ or 80 times the mass of Jupiter.[30]" So the 0.08 is right, but not the 13 times, making this star about the smallest mass you can have and still be a main sequence star.

My mistake. It's thought to be around 80 times the mass of Jupiter. Just like the upper limit, I imagine that the lower limit has considerable wiggle room. I have edited my post to correct the number. Thanks

There is new observational work that suggests the dividing line between red dwarfs and brown dwarfs is not 8% solar but 6.7% solar: See New Scientist and Physics Forums

Yes, the lower limit was never meant to be set in stone (nor is the upper limit).

1. What is the minimum mass required for a star to form?

The minimum mass required for a star to form is about 0.08 times the mass of our Sun, or 80 times the mass of Jupiter. This is known as the hydrogen-burning limit, where a star is able to sustain nuclear fusion in its core.

2. Can an object with a mass lower than the minimum form a star?

No, an object with a mass lower than the minimum cannot form a star. Objects with masses lower than 0.08 solar masses are unable to generate enough heat and pressure in their cores to sustain nuclear fusion, which is necessary for a star to form.

3. What happens to objects that have masses lower than the minimum?

Objects with masses lower than the minimum for star formation are typically classified as brown dwarfs. They are not massive enough to become stars, but are still much larger than planets. Brown dwarfs emit very little light and heat, making them difficult to detect.

4. Are there any stars with masses close to the minimum?

Yes, there are stars with masses close to the minimum of 0.08 solar masses. These are known as red dwarfs and are the most common type of star in the universe. They are smaller and cooler than our Sun, but can still sustain nuclear fusion in their cores.

5. Is there an upper limit for star mass as well?

Yes, there is an upper limit for star mass. It is estimated that the maximum mass for a star is around 150 solar masses. Stars with masses higher than this are unable to maintain stability and often explode in a supernova. However, the exact upper limit is still a topic of research and debate among scientists.